Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deefar

Bill, especially for you....

deefar
18 years ago

How do you like my GREEN grass now?!? We are having our first snowstorm of the season...ain't it grand...I don't think so!

{{gwi:485104}}
{{gwi:485105}}
{{gwi:485106}}

We have 6 inches now and do for another 6inches. Its cold and blustery and I hate it! :(

Dawn

Comments (26)

• billinsc
    18 years ago

Wow Dawn!! Amazing what a difference a couple of days make. It's supposed to be a low of 27 here for the next two days. Of course, it will be with bright sunshine. Hope your snow goes away soon!!
    Bill in SC

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Its not quite six inches of snow, but here's my neighbour's house this afternoon. Winter is here!

{{gwi:485107}}

• turtleman49
    18 years ago

WOW... never seen white grass before!

Do you have to mow that stuff??

• ariole
    18 years ago

Dawn, I'm not getting pics, only red X's

• ooojen
    18 years ago

I'm not sure it even counts as "winter" if you're in Z8 or higher!
    I feel for you, Dawn! We've got the same thing as of the night before last (more during the day yesterday.) It was 2 degrees F this morning. The sun is out now (finally) and we're hoping to make it up into the 20's. Looking for the Polyanna positive in it all-- when the sun does come out, the white snow reflects more light in through the windows. That's good for the windowsill succs.

• cactusdan19
    18 years ago

Wow Dawn,
    That's alot more than we got, received 3+ inches day before yesterday with 45mph winds and the mercury plumeted (low 13F) yesterday morning. Supposed to be in the 50s this weekend, crazy!!! Need to go out and harvest my Escobaria vivipara fruits soon.
    Dan

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

"I'm not sure it even counts as "winter" if you're in Z8 or higher!" is so right.
    i was just telling someone how we shouldnt complain of our "cold" when it dropped to the 30's last night; today is sunny and crisp.
    dawn, your pix give me goosebumps. lol. brrrr
    ooojen, we're feeling your cold blast all the way down here.
    Bundle up all and warm the cocoa!

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Oh my GOSH! What is that WHITE stuff??? You need to clean your camera lens, Dawn! You have white speckles all over it! :D

~Rosemarie

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

S&B, sorry we had 4 inches not 6, my mistake.By the end of today we are supposed to have 8-10 inches of snow.

Bill, do you get snow where you live?

turtleman, Yes it has to be mowed frequenly or it will get out of control. The 'ol john deer keeps up pretty well.

Jen, That about how cold it is here.

Hi Dan, We have more snow but our winds arn't as strong. They are gusting at 30mph. White-outs everyehere.

sjv, It gives you goosebumps? My goosebumps have goosebumps, LOL

Rosemarie, That white stuff is mothernature shaking her head,LOL

Dawn

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

I'm not sure it even counts as "winter" if you're in Z8 or higher!

I'll take the snow if I can have a few of Jo's 80 degree January days and the sun above the horizon!

• cactus_kate
    18 years ago

Wow, Dawn. That's quite a view!

Bill...remember a while back when I made comments about not thinking that your zone 7b seemed to be different than mine? Well...the low last night was 28, so I guess it's more similar than I thought.

I am hopeful that we have at least another month before we get any white stuff. It's so dry here, though, that when we do get any, it goes away within a day, and the sun comes right back out. Amazing that it is 34 degrees out in my yard right now, and the sun is blazing away! Should be warmer!

Kate

• ooojen
    18 years ago

S&B-- You're right; it counts as winter if the sun's so low on the horizon it shines onto the ceiling instead of the floor. I'll take more intense cold with some sunshine over warmer temps and short, dark days. They're short enough here!

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

Brrrrrrrrr!!! Dawn, I'm glad we've got Summer just around the corner... snow is rare here where I live, but 1 hours drive from here into the mountains it's a whole different story, & that's how I prefer it!

CP

• jamesicus
    18 years ago

Oh, so that is what snow looks like! And isn't rain that stuff that falls out of the sky every year or so?

The story around here in the southern Arizona desert is of the four year old boy who lived in Ajo near the Organ Pipe National Monument. He hadn't seen rain in his life until one day it rained while he was playing in the front yard of his house. The experience was such a shock to his system that he fainted -- and they had to throw two buckets of dust on his head to revive him!

• jamesicus
    18 years ago

Temperature in my front yard at 2pm today -- not a very good picture because the bright sunshine was creating quite a bit of glare! :-)

{{gwi:485108}}

James

• cactusdan19
    18 years ago

Hey James,
    That was me, except it was snow ;-)
    I was born in San Diego, CA and was four when my folks moved us to NE. That first winter was true culture shock, and it was a true blizzard to boot :-)
    Dan in Lincoln, NE

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

This is our predicted high/low temp for the next few days. All temps in F:

Thu 74° : 52°

Fri 76° : 53°

Sat 73° : 52°

Sun 73° : 50°

Realize please that we're also in the middle of a mild Santa Ana condition (I think it's similar to the chinook, the scirrocco, and the foehn) - hot, dry winds blowing out of the east, rather than the usual westerlies.

• billinsc
    18 years ago

Kate and Dawn: We get snow every coupla' years. Ocassionally a foot or more, but very rarily, and then, usually it is gone within a few days.. Our cold winter days, which are few, dip into the teens occasionally, and usually above freezing during the day. We sometimes have a run of days where the mercury stays below freezing all day, but once again, these days are few and far between.. Our climate is nearly perfect, except for the humidity in summer and fall... One good thing for y'all, like ooojen said, the snow does reflect a heap of light towards your plants..
    Bill in SC

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

jeff, your weather forecast and ours sound about the same.
    80 in Jan? well, not unheard of but 60sD/40sN would be more likely. christmas is more likely than not celebrated in short sleeves - january is our 'winter' and by mid-feb, we're looking for last frost so we can start the planting.
    lol, james, cute 'story'. we havent had a real rain since back in apr or may - we sleep with our fingers crossed and do the 'nekkid turtle dance' daily, all to no avail :-(

• ariole
    18 years ago

No ice on the bird bath yet this season, my indicator of the first real freeze. The tomatoes have a few more days of life and I still have the chance to change my mind about a few tender sorts presently sitting out on 'the wall'.

I'm in a milder micro-climate than the airport where they record the temps.

Al

• turtleman49
    18 years ago

I'm glad I live in Arizona.... its Summer all year around :)

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

Wow, Dawn! You got a LOT more than we did! And I'm glad! All we had were some blowing flurries and nothing stuck. It's bitter cold here today though and it looks like it's going to last through Thanksgiving.

Wishing I was in Phoenix,

Amy

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Checking in...from the CA southwest city near the border of Mexico...dry, warm winds of the Santa Ana, coming from the east & 81°,. Leaves & inflatables blown in to the pool (oh drat). Checked the sux pots to be sure they hadn't blown over & moved deck chairs so they wouldn't end up in the pool too. Getting shocked by everything I touch! :D I'll bet the surfers are loving this!

Ooo La La -it's Fall here! :P
    ~Rosemarie

• billinsc
    18 years ago

turtleman49: I really like having "some" cold weather. It beats back the skeeters, flies, fleas, ticks, gnats, fire ants, and other pesky critters for a spell. It also lowers our humidity to normal tolerable levels. I really do LOVE Az., but I really get lonesome when I am there for our deciduous forests.
    RoseMarie: Yeah, yeah. Just rub it in deep! Cut 'em to the quick!! Life must be soooo rough in your little piece of paradise!! Arrrrrrgh! :-) LOL!!
    Bill in SC

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

i'm with you, bill. i've had the pleasure of living in climes with year-round summer - and also places with severe winter. i find short, mild winters but with definite seasonal changes suit me best. i grew up on the great plains where trees are an oddity; now i find landscape without them rather barren....and the sight of leaves turning gold and red breathtaking. in cool you look forward to the heat, in the heat you look forward to the cool...always something to anticipate! yup yup...

"My goosebumps have goosebumps"...LOL no doubt gurl! start a fire to curl up in front of with your hunney and fix ya up some hot cocoa and marshmellows.
    we had a cold snap a couple of nights ago. they said it would freeze but i dont believe it did. we stoked up a blaze anyway. love that smell.

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

sjv, My idea of curling up in front of a fire is leaving the door to the woodburner open, LOL

Amy, Just so that you don't feel left out, I am going to send a freight truck filled with NY snow. Don't worry, I will have it delivered to your front door, LOL.

Dawn

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH