Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
astrophytumfreak

Preparing for the wintertime

astrophytumfreak
18 years ago

I finally finished the preperations for the wintertime. We should be getting frost in the following days, so it was about time. Here are a few pics:

{{gwi:485145}}

{{gwi:485147}}

{{gwi:485149}}

Dan

Comments (15)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

We had a frost last night, kind of, just about, only on the grass :)

Beddy-byes time for little cactus babies!

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

What a brood you're caring for, Dan! LOL ~They look like they're all tucked in nicely!

~Rosemarie

• magnus_bjorlin
    18 years ago

Hi Dan,

You have done a great job! I need to do some preperations for the wintertime myself. But it always the same every winter....i dont do it. I guess im to lazy, it much work;)
    But the good thing is that the plants get more light.

-Magnus

• astrophytumfreak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Magnus, what is your greenhouseglass made out of? I know that electricity is cheap in Sweden, but still I don't understand how you can avoid preparing your greenhouse? Don't you get a really high energy bill?
    Dan

• magnus_bjorlin
    18 years ago

Dan,

I have both glass and channel-plast on my greenhouse.
    So you think that the electricity is cheap in Sweden....;)
    I wonder how it is in Denmark?
    Well....i dont think that the bills are that high. But it
    depends on the weather ofcourse. If its getting really cold i use some plastic (like yours)at the door and in the roof.

-Magnus

• alex_AZ
    18 years ago

You are a hard worker Dan! I don't do any insulation in my greenhouse, we only get a handful of below freezing nights.

Alex

• astrophytumfreak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Magnus,
    How thick are your channel-windows? 6mm? 12mm?
    I'm thinking about buying a new greenhouse next year, and I was wondering if it's worth paying for the thicker 12mm windows?

Thanks Alex. I really haven't done it very carefully. I will be moving in the middle of the winter, so I'm going to take it all down in a few months anyway :(
    Dan

• alex_AZ
    18 years ago

Oh no! Well, I hope you are moving to aplace where you have more space :-)

Alex

• magnus_bjorlin
    18 years ago

Dan...i have 6 mm channel plastic on the outside and glas on the inside. I think it's worth paying for the 12mm windows if your are going to buy a new one. My greenhouse is an ordinary glas house from the beginning.

-Magnus

• astrophytumfreak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Alex, I sure hope for more space as well! If everything go as planed I will buy a 27 square meter / 291 square feet greenhouse, so I don't think I will be needing any extra room for the first few years ;)
    Magnus, Thanks for the information. I will consider your opinion when I order the gh.
    Dan

• Romani_30
    18 years ago

Well I have a greenhouse of sorts.Its frame is made of red iron.And I have wood nailing strips over that. I cover mine with the thickest clear plastic I can find. And inside,I have a space heater with a thermastat on it. Usaully at the worst,I loose a couple of plants.:) I just turned the heater on in there now. Thee is a chance for a freeze tonight.

• tequila
    18 years ago

Dan: We do not have winters like yours, just a couple of days with temperatures below zero, we have the problem of the high humidity. but I have a question about seedlings.
    I have astros from two and four weeks old, and I kept them in a laboratory device that holds a temperature of 30 celsius degrees, but the space is limited, so others are at outside temp. of 25 to 35 degrees. How do you keep your newborns in this winter time?
    Alfonso

• astrophytumfreak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Alfonso,
    If the seedlings are less than 1 year old they grow under lights in the wintertime (18w, 28C, no extra humidity). I don't grow alot of seedlings in the wintertime though.
    Dan

• meloman
    18 years ago

Wow Dan, right on .you are very well prepared.!! Glad I don't have to do that!! (it doesn't even get anywhere close to zero where I live, so I wouldn't know how to deal with that!)

Pijaya

• luthien79
    18 years ago

We've had frost the last few nghts here in the UK. Has gone quite cold. Some very big clear full moons as well, last nights had this spectacular large halo around it.

I've had bubble-wrap up for a few weeks but I actually want to do a few more bits. Will have to get a move on. Sunday seems like a good day, not doing anything else.

Toni-Marie