Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ariole

Ophthalmophyllum herrei

ariole
18 years ago

Just a hit of pink radiates from these delicate flowers on a small bodied plant.

It's a personal favorite.

Al

{{gwi:485322}}

{{gwi:485324}}

{{gwi:485326}}

Comments (12)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Like a dwarf Lithops optica, only harder to grow :) These seem to be happy, are they in a greenhouse?

• ariole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

S-n-B,

This plant has been doing it's thing for about 25 years. Some years it fills the pot while there times when I think it is sure to say goodbye. Rehoboth Beach, Delaware is about the same latitude as DC but right on the Atlantic coast. Too, too much moisture to stay outside. In a g/h but not optimum light for most Mesembs. I moved my plants here about 6 years ago from an ideal c&s location. Some plants made the adjustment, some didn't. Some happiness, some heartbreak.

Al

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

I know Rehobeth. I used to play in the volleyball tournaments there when I lived in DC, plus the occasional social trip ;) And one of my friends had a house in Dewey which we could use sometimes.

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

A beautifully grown plant Al, you've done well to maintain it all that time. I had one for about four years... it now lives in that happy desert in the sky.

CP

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Very nice tinge of pink on your flowers, Al! And they have windows too...a plus! :D I hope someday to be able to say I had plants for 25 years! Good growing on you!

~Rosemarie

• ariole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rosemarie-

I think you are on your way to 25 with your lemon tree.

Al

• jamesfe
    18 years ago

25 years and still looking good. that is some growing.

• alex_AZ
    18 years ago

That is a beautiful plant Al! I'm going to post a couple of Conophytums/Ophthalmophyllum for your help with the ID's

Alex

• cactus_kate
    18 years ago

Hi, Al.

I am impressed with anyone who can grow anything for 25 years, especially something difficult! : )

The longest any of my plants have been in my herbicidal clutches is about 8 years or so. I was about to say that I'd like to own one of these, because I love the plants with windows...but then someone said it's like a Lithops, but more difficult. I decided I should stick to my cacti. Congratulations on your great growing!

Kate

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

This admirable plant and the fact that you've diligently cared for it for 25 years is remarkable. I'm in awe of your knowledge and abilities, Al. I'll echo Rosemarie's sentiment and say that I hope someday to have plants that have been in my collection for that long.

It's easy to see why it's your favorite. I'd be very attached to any plant I've had for that long.

Amy

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

I just realised that Ophthalmophyllum herrei is the same as Conophytum longum (and not Conophytum herrei which would have been much too obvious!). I tentatively ID'd Alex's second plant as C. longum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alex's Conos

• ariole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I cannot disagree. We all appreciate the way you share your expertise.

Al

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio