Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnk827

Succulent ID needed

Lynn
18 years ago

All those pics of rosemaries gorgeous succulents inspired me to buy this yesterday during my shopping trip. Anyone know what it is?

{{gwi:485813}}

Thanks for your help!

WindsurfGirl

Comments (8)

• James_uk
    18 years ago

Kalanchoe thrysiflora?

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Well, good for you, WindsurfGirl! We DO like to enable here! :P

It is more likely Kalanchoe luciae (or even tack on ssp luciae as well). I don't think Kalanchoe thyrsiflora is found very often in the trade, although there are many pix online misidentified. It has deeper yellow flowers than K. luciae.

Here is my Kalanchoe luciae ssp luciae with start of its inflorescence:

{{gwi:485811}}

~Rosemarie

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

WSG - that could be a pic of one of my unidentified plants. After tons of searches here was what i narrowed it down to and i hope someone can help us get a correct id.

KalanchoeThyrsifolia
    {{gwi:485818}}

or Kalanchoe-farinaceamarginalis
    {{gwi:485820}}

or s. albomarginatum 'Feather River' Stonecrop
    {{gwi:485823}}

all of which look close - none of which look identical. thoughts?

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

i meant to add:
    rosemarie-
    i dont believe our plant is the one in your pic. ours has a yellow-green hue where yours appears blue-green and the margin color is more orange than red.
    i do like that k.luciae...will have to be on the lookout for one!
    HTH-
    Jo

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

Rosemarie -
    well i wound my way around to your post entitled "Sux from B4 ~many pix" and i see that the coloration shown in the pic above is a lighting thang...i can clearly see why you suggested k.luciae.

Rosemarie's k.luciae
    {{gwi:485825}}

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Jo, it is not common to find Kalanchoe thyrsiflora for sale. Most on the market are K. luciae. Probably the only way you'll know for sure is if it blooms for you. If it has lemon yellow blooms, then it will most likely be K. thyrsiflora. If the blooms are pale yellow, then you most likely have K. luciae (ssp. luciae).

On the 1st page of the Google images link below, the last 8 shown are mine -posted here before on GW. Mine have the red coloring because of them growing in full sun with little water & in the ground. Pot grown plants in different zones, grown differently, will yield a different looking plant. Mine take on different coloring depending on the time of year as well.

I believe what both of you have is Kalanchoe luciae. I pic I posted above was taken in early morning with the sun backlighting it...making the green/blue color on it. Under other lighting it would look altogether different.

I just found this excellent explanation of the confusion. See here for differences explained ~and pix.

~Rosemarie

Here is a link that might be useful: Kal. luciae Google images

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

Ro -
    immediately when i saw the pic from 'sux from b4' i thought you had, as usual, correctly identified our plant - Thank You. i love the paddle-shaped leaves on this plant, now i will look forward to viewing its flowers.
    thanks for the links - you're a real walking encyclopedia, aintcha gurl? good for us!
    btw - why is the k. thyrsiflora so rare, do you think? the 1st pic i provided is an incorrectly id'ed plant, no?
    have you seen/grown the other two?
    (WSG - sorry if i hijacked your thread.)

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Hi again, Jo, I was composing my previous response (and getting sidetracked between making dinner) while you posted your previous reply. :) Good~ you found the other post & pix!

Thanks for your nice comments (my mom thought so too-when I was in 4th grade-ha)!

I don't know if the K. thyrsiflora is considered rare, it just isn't commonly found in the trade. I don't know if whomever collects these plants (from their habitat or whatever) just thought to propogate the other species or what. I don't know about the biz of selling C&S. I don't know who decides what to put into circulation or how easily they are obtained.

I can see the 2nd pic belongs to the Lapshin site. Are the other 2 pix you pulled off the web or pix of your plants? If they are not yours, it'd be a good idea to give credit /who they belong to (esp. if you don't have permission to use/post them). Just to be on the safe side anyway.

I couldn't say about the 1st pic without knowing more about it. I would guess it is not ID'd correctly. Still, flowers would be definitive on its ID. I have not seen or grown the other two.

~Rosemarie

Sponsored