Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a BIG difference

Posted by ariole z7DE (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 13, 05 at 12:22

Both Echeverias are offsets from the same stock plant and looked virtually identical in early Summer. As the weeks progressed they (and the majority of my other g/h Echeverias) drifted downhillalmost to the point where I was tempted to toss them all. With not too much to loose I decided to gather a bunch of them and, easing them into full sun outside, leave them to the effects of the elements. That was probably very early September. They remained outside until a few weeks ago. The plant on the right was one that went outside. The one on the left stayed in.

All my Echeverias now look so much improved; but those that had the outside vacation are in my opinion far better looking.

BTW this plant is the NOID I have been referring to as Warts.

Al

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a BIG difference

Al, that is the highly desirable Echeveria gibbiflora hybrid 'Mt. Etna'. I have three of these heavily carunculated plants.

Observation over the last two years has clearly shown a correlation between light levels and the development of carunculations. A bright shady location will produce a lightly carunculated leaf with little of the outrageous color development that can occur with a few hours of direct sun each day. You can see that on some of the less carunculated lower leaves of the plants in the photo below.

Since moving the plants to their current location which gets a few hours of direct sun each day, the carunculations completely cover each leaf on the upper part of the plants. You can burn these plants with too much direct sun, so finding the right location at the right time of year seems to be very important. Cooler temperatures seem to play the major role in developing rich color.

The larger ones in the background and are in 14 inch tall pots to counterbalance their incredible weight. They each stand about 16 inches above the pot, and both have very long curved stems over two feet long and propped up by large rocks. They are due for beheading come February, or sooner if they try to commit suicide ;)

o

that Is a big difference!

i have a unid'ed plant that looks virtually identical to the plant in the pic on the left - but no caruncles. i picked it up at the local c&s soc show last spring but have never seen another. could it be this is one parent to your hybrid? any idea on the name of it?
will do a search for para's e.gibbiflora -
thanks for sharing your 'experiement'.
jo

o

Many thanks for your growing tips, Para. You have some unbelievably beautiful specimens.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here