Need ID

metamog
18 years ago

Can anyone ID this one?

Image link:

Comments (10)

• alealdo
    18 years ago

I think it's a Cleistocactus, probably winterii.

Alessandro

• metamog
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Allesandro, I'll do some investigation in my books for Cleistocactus!

Morgan

• cactusdan19
    18 years ago

Morgan,
    The near one looks to be Pilosocereus chrysacanthus, the other one, I'm not sure of. Pretty plants.
    Dan

• metamog
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you cactusDan, I'll include Pilocereus chrysacanthus in my search!

I have one more cactus that I'm actually more interested in ID'ing:

At first I thaught that they were the same species, but I'm not sure about this any more. If anyone can ID this, please help!

Here is a link that might be useful: from Echinopsis Gallery

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Now that last one looks like a Cleistocactus, not an Echinopsis. In fact it looks like C. strausii which has become etiolated. I like to call them pointy heads :)

Have you seen it flower? What's that on top of the one at the front? Do you know if it is a single plant or five stuck in a pot?

• metamog
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Shrubs n bulbs!

I think you're right about the "pointy heads". I've seen this cactus in the flowershop, where I recently bought it, for several years. And it hasn't got to much of light, or other care the last years.

It's quite big, over 90 cm high, including pot.

The stems are separate, but I don't know if they grew out from a mother plant or if there were originally several stems/seeds sown/stuck in this pot.

I don't know what you mean by "what's on top front", you can click the picture to make it real big (there are some scars or wounds on one stem, if that's what you mean).

I haven't seen it's flower, neither had the previous owner (owner of the flower shop where I bought it). It has been kept in a minimum of 17 degrees Celsius for the last years so it hasn't bloomed for the previous owner. Now I keep it in about 12 degrees Celsius and I hope that this will be appropriate for winter-rest (to produce flowers the next spring or summer).

There are fewer and thicker spines on the lower part of the oldest, fattest stem. The (central-)spines on the old stem is about 1+ inch long and quite thick, pointing downwards (yellow, like all spines on this plant).

Morgan

• metamog
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh, I think I know what you mean "what's on top front", if you're referring to the "cloes up" photo: It's the remains of an old spiderweb and dust. It has been in the flowershop for some years and got some old dirt on it (just bought this one).

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

OK, I clicked on the closeup now :)

Now I'm thinking it isn't Cleistocactus strausii, its not hairy enough. But one of those columnars anyway. It probably isn't large enough to flower, believe it or not!

• magnus_bjorlin
    18 years ago

Morgan...

I would say that the big tall one is a Pilosocereus chrysostele. Its very common at the Garden Centers here.
    Its NOT a Cleistocactus.
    Its seperate several plants in the pot, not one plant.
    I hade one like this some year ago. But it died because i keept it to cold during the winter. Well i took a chance...:(

-Magnus

• metamog
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank's Magnus!

I'm not sure yet. Still searching.

Morgan

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County