Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffrey_harris_gw

Requested Pictures of Crassula ovata

jeffrey_harris
18 years ago

Here are some pictures of the Crassula ovata that Denise and Jo have asked for.

There were actually lots more pics that I should have been able to add to this particular album - they were on the crest of greatness (at least goodness) but they were not quite good enough for you. This was true particularly of the closeups, when I was using macro. Here's an example:

{{gwi:486164}}

The rest of the photos are contained in the link below.

I'll try harder later in the week, taking with me what I learned this time - it's not necessarily in focus even though it appears so.

As previously stated, it's about 8' (2.43 m) tall and about 4' (1.219 m) wide, although the width is just a broad guess.

It's been watered aperiodically this summer and given fertilizer once in the last year. The top soil is a silt-like sand and 4" below is clay and rock, leftovers when this area was ocean-bottom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crassula ovata Album

Comments (11)

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

Jeff,
    WOW! that is stunning! what joy it must give you to sip a beverage in the company of that tree! the bark alone is a piece of art. have you measured the circumference/diameter of the trunk? is this a tree you planted yourself? how old is it? the flowers are delightful. a tree full of blooms like those in pic2 would be a sight to see no doubt. since apparently they do not bloom readily, yours must be exceedingly happy...and for that you must take some credit, no matter your modesty in doing so.
    in the foreground of a couple of your pix, is a plant with triangular leaves - what is that cutie?
    Thanks Jeff for posting (again) pix of this plant. i must share them with a friend who loves his jade dearly, hope ya dont mind.
    Jo

• deefar
    18 years ago

It is such a pleasure to see that plant (tree). Hey Jeff, how many birds nests have you found in there?

Dawn

• jeffrey_harris
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dear Jo,

The diameter at the base is about 10". I don't know how old it is - it was much smaller when I moved here 10 years ago. To the contrary, it blooms readily, though usually in December lasting into January. If you're speaking of the plant in the foreground of the 'Looking to the West' picture, that's the 'nude' form of Kalanchoe beharensis - all other Kalanchoe beharensis cultivars and species have a felty leaf; this one doesn't.

Dear Dawn,

None, though sparrows, sparrow hawks, goldfinches and hummers have used it as a perch.

Thank you both for the kind comments.

• deefar
    18 years ago

Jeff, That would be nice to see a goldfinch in your jade tree. You should try to get a pic of that.

Dawn

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

It's looking GREAT , Jeff! You grow it well!!

There is a stand of these at someone's house in town here, lining their whole fence. None as tall as yours, though! I must remind myself to go get a shot of it. I thought of it months ago, but keep forgetting to take my camera with me. Of course, it's more impressive when in flower...which might be pretty soon!

Sometimes (but not often) I regret removing all those plants that surrounded our house. They would be decades old by now if I had!

~Rosemarie

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

This is truly an impressive tree, Jeff. I think that goes without saying though. But where is Ms. Clio? Didn't she supervise the photography session?
    Amy

• jeffrey_harris
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dear Dawn,

If said goldfinch would give me notice that she/he will be there, I would also be there, with bells on and camera in hand.

Dear Rosemarie,

Thanks!

Dear Amy,

Her interest was merely feigned - she was more interested in adding to her 18 hours of daily sleep.

I'll try to get a pic of both of us when more flowers have opened.

• Denise
    18 years ago

Jeff,

Awsome as always! I'm tempted to drive out there and get an in-person gander of that bad boy! I'm just amazed that they get that big. Maybe I'll go move one of my "big" (ha-ha!) ones up to a larger pot in hopes that it'll have a growth spurt...

Denise in Omaha

• jeffrey_harris
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dear Denise,

Should you venture out here, you'll be going back with significant Crassula poundage, I guarantee you, as sure as the winds blow in the SE corner of Wyoming in the winter.

Either that, or I can ship you a piece, the size and weight of Remo the Wonder Fluff, COD.

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

Quite amazing, and i love the bark on it when mature!

• jeffrey_harris
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dear GL,

Yes, me too. It reminds me of the source of the earliest Chinese ideographs - the characters scratched onto tortoise shells

Sponsored