Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjtessanne

my little greenhouse setup

kjtessanne
18 years ago

I thought I would show you all my little greenhouse setup now that I have moved things inside for the "winter" (it's been in the 80s this week...soooo different from OH!). So far most things seem to be happy in there. I've got a couple aloes blooming (bakeri, doran black) and the succulents are coloring up. Also have three hoyas in there, I am experimenting to see how low of a temp they will take before protesting enough for me to move them into the house. The fungii on the right has 4 spurs in bud. Enjoy!

Kim

Here are some more links of the inside:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/245739350/501575182xmRuzR

http://community.webshots.com/photo/245739350/501575185bOhkHy

Here is a link that might be useful: gh

Comments (7)

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

that looks neat, and frosted covering, but is it UV safe as it looks a little fragile,like it may crack in a few years.

• kjtessanne
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Actually the covering is 6 mil plastic, no frosting or anything. The plastic needs to be replaced every 3-4 years, but I've already torn it down once to move from Ohio to TX so it's not that big of a deal. You may be seeing the curtain I hung on the righthand side, that's to help filter the light coming in. When I moved everything in the sun was still pretty bright here, much brighter than up north, and I had some burning. But the curtain seems to help some until i can get a shade cloth for next spring.

Kim

• Lynn
    18 years ago

Nice little greenhouse! I bet you enjoy having somewhere with bright light to put your babies. How cold do you get where you are? Will you overwinter some things there? Do you have heat?

WindsurfGirl

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

Very nice! Kim

CP

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

Lucky you Kim! What I wouldn't give for a Texas climate right now! You're not missing anything in OH, days in the upper 50's and nights in the lower 40's. A cold front hit us today and we're getting down to 32° tonight.

How's that little Senecio scaposus doing that I sent you last fall? I looked for it in your photos but couldn't see it anywhere.

Amy

• kjtessanne
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lol Amy, oh i do miss OH but not the weather! Actually next week we are supposed to be getting those kinds of temps. Maybe then it'll actually feel somewhat like fall. I do have that little plant...although he is somewhat bigger now. I'll have to get a pic. He's on the lefthand side in the GH soaking up the sun. My photos need a serious update. One of the many things on my to-do list...

Windsurfgirl...I am using a small heater in there to keep the temps around 50. Come December I will move in the hoyas and euphorbs and let the min temp get down to 40 at night. I used this in OH last winter and 40 seemd to work fine. Although there I had it double-wrapped in bubble wrap!

Kim

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

Kim - am so glad you got all set up over bryan way. did you find a good source for sux? made a trip up here to longhorn country to check out the spots we suggested? your gh looks much like the one i built last year - works great, no?

WSG - i am right up the road from Kim and here we get perhaps 6-12 nights a yr when it goes to 25-32 (lite freeze by my definition) and perhaps a couple below 25 (hard freeze - again my definition). (my brother is saying my estimation is off by as many as 7 days (combined) per year...but mom agrees with me - so there ya have it LOL) either way, i doubt Kim will get much use of a heater. i use those little xmas lites myself.

lol kim by the time it feels fall to you from ohio it will be spring again!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz