Posted by MingTea z9 Tucson (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 21, 05 at 14:07

This stumpy fellow has some teeth!

here's the whole pot of little "thumbs."

-ming

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Huernia kennedyana

Like these little Huernias. I have a few that bloomed this summer for me. That's a pretty one.
Have some different Hoodia now too, my Hoodia gordonii (20 years old) put on a nice show this summer, have some more from seed now.
Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: My Hoodia summer '04

o

this plants a first me. i like it. looks like it produces a lot of offsets. also cactusdan nice hoodia. i like it also. thanks for the post.

o

Wow, what a neat little flower, even if it does have an attitude! I really like those stripes.
Amy

o

Ming, what a beauty! I had this one for awhile and it wouldn't bloom for me so I gave it away. Now I wish I'd had more patience!! Dan, what's the secret to getting a Hoodia to bloom? I grow mine for the plant itself, but I sure keep striving to get flowers. Maybe I'm too stingy with water in summer - I lost one I'd had for many years two summers ago during a rainy spell and I've tried to be very cautious with my new one.

Denise in Omaha

o

i don't know what the secret to blooms is, except that when i moved to tucson, everything went bananas! plants i'd had forever without blooming started to put out buds, but since i moved here in september, it was a little late to get started. i had lots of aborted attempts, but some of them came through.
i'd love to grow hoodia now that i'm in a warmer climate. almost picked one up the other day, but i think i'll wait for it to get warmer out before i buy anymore plants. that flower is a beaut.
-ming

o

Hello Ming, I've got a real soft spot for those little Huernias, this is a real beauty.

CP

o

Dan,

I just saw the photo of you Hoodia plant and what a beauty it is! Where did you find this specimen? Does it need special care? I thought it was hard to grow them outside of their native environment. I'm also curious to find out how you did with the seeds.

o

Amaranthena,
I Keep my Hoodia in a mix of sharp girt (90%) and ground coir (10%), full sun in the summer with liberal water and fertilizer. During the winter I keep warm (70F) and dry (no water from time brought in to time taken out, Oct-May). The seeds came up great, 100% germination and almost 2" tall already.
Dan
Lincoln, NE USDA 5

o

cool lookin dude!

o

Dan I'm impressed with your care and success with the Hoodia. Did you also grow the 20 year old plant? I'm also surprised that the Hoodia germinated from seed is already 2" tall. Forgive my ignorance I don't know much about the growth habits of this plant but I find it fascinating.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here