This stumpy fellow has some teeth!

{{gwi:393118}}

here's the whole pot of little "thumbs."

{{gwi:393120}}

-ming

Comments (10)

• cactusdan19
    18 years ago

Like these little Huernias. I have a few that bloomed this summer for me. That's a pretty one.
    Have some different Hoodia now too, my Hoodia gordonii (20 years old) put on a nice show this summer, have some more from seed now.
    Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: My Hoodia summer '04

• jamesfe
    18 years ago

this plants a first me. i like it. looks like it produces a lot of offsets. also cactusdan nice hoodia. i like it also. thanks for the post.

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

Wow, what a neat little flower, even if it does have an attitude! I really like those stripes.
    Amy

• Denise
    18 years ago

Ming, what a beauty! I had this one for awhile and it wouldn't bloom for me so I gave it away. Now I wish I'd had more patience!! Dan, what's the secret to getting a Hoodia to bloom? I grow mine for the plant itself, but I sure keep striving to get flowers. Maybe I'm too stingy with water in summer - I lost one I'd had for many years two summers ago during a rainy spell and I've tried to be very cautious with my new one.

Denise in Omaha

• mingtea
    Original Author
    18 years ago

i don't know what the secret to blooms is, except that when i moved to tucson, everything went bananas! plants i'd had forever without blooming started to put out buds, but since i moved here in september, it was a little late to get started. i had lots of aborted attempts, but some of them came through.
    i'd love to grow hoodia now that i'm in a warmer climate. almost picked one up the other day, but i think i'll wait for it to get warmer out before i buy anymore plants. that flower is a beaut.
    -ming

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

Hello Ming, I've got a real soft spot for those little Huernias, this is a real beauty.

CP

• amaranthena
    18 years ago

Dan,

I just saw the photo of you Hoodia plant and what a beauty it is! Where did you find this specimen? Does it need special care? I thought it was hard to grow them outside of their native environment. I'm also curious to find out how you did with the seeds.

• cactusdan19
    18 years ago

Amaranthena,
    I Keep my Hoodia in a mix of sharp girt (90%) and ground coir (10%), full sun in the summer with liberal water and fertilizer. During the winter I keep warm (70F) and dry (no water from time brought in to time taken out, Oct-May). The seeds came up great, 100% germination and almost 2" tall already.
    Dan
    Lincoln, NE USDA 5

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

cool lookin dude!

• amaranthena
    18 years ago

Dan I'm impressed with your care and success with the Hoodia. Did you also grow the 20 year old plant? I'm also surprised that the Hoodia germinated from seed is already 2" tall. Forgive my ignorance I don't know much about the growth habits of this plant but I find it fascinating.