Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's a good time to be reborn

Posted by Jeffrey_harris San Diego, CA (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 26, 05 at 14:21

I've almost got the correspondence course on Central Core Aloe Repair completed.

Although all chapters weren't as successful as these were, my overall rate of return was well over 86.14%.

Here is the chaos and carnage left over from an Aloe broomii, the end result of ignorance and benign indifference to its needs, cat fights, opossum trespasses and skunk violations.

This particular plant had outgown its pot - it also healed itself, after being given some strong medicine. I then removed its dying leaves, leaving the finished-but-for-the-repotting plant.

Some aloes, following Central Core Repair, form a new rosette beginning where the old one left off, effectively 'pushing' the old one out of the way. That's what happened with the Aloe broomii.

The Aloe below illustrates what happens most of the time, following growing point damage, treatment and regrowth- pups are thrown.

Here's what you do with a centrally rotting Aloe that you wish to save, providing it has a healthy stock and lower leaves:

1) completely core out the rotten parts - scrape, spray, cut out all the rot

2) Give the core a water blast, empty if necessary, then spray the crater with alcohol

3) while still wet with alcohol, dump some sulphur powder (flowers of sulphur - you can get it at a compounding pharmacy) in the crater

4) keep the crater dry. When you do water, water the roots only

Alternatively, you can heat up a piece of rebar to red-hot and stick it into the center of an Aloe - this will kill intentionally kill the meristem while simultaneously cauterizing the wound.

Many Aloes are singular, but there are methods around that.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's a good time to be reborn

Thanks Jeffrey, that's helpful information, I shall file it away in the grey matter for retrieval in the unfortunate event that I should need it.

CP

o
RE: It's a good time to be reborn

Very interesting and useful Jeff, thank you. That poor broomii! Looks like it's in good hands.
Amy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here