Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnk827

Winter home

Lynn
18 years ago

Here's the winter home for my cactus. This picture was taken last year. See the red blooming geraniums in the floor? I just love going inside in the winter to see blooming flowers. It's what gets me thru the winter without going crazy!

{{gwi:486571}}

Here is a shot of one end of the greenhouse inside where some of my cactus are. This was taken a couple of weeks ago right after I moved them in.

{{gwi:486575}}

WindsurfGirl

Comments (9)

• Lynn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

One more shot....
    {{gwi:486579}}

WindsurfGirl

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

Very cool! You got heating in there?

• rjm710
    18 years ago

Really! What was the lowest temp inside? Outside? It looks like an exposed site for light and wind. Did you have any losses? Tell us more!!

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

It's a nice looking setup you have there. Since I have no greenhouse, my plants have invaded every single south facing windowsill in the house and a room in the basement set up just for them. They are spoiled rotten! I must have over 300 by now. I lost count this summer because I was too busy memorizing names and care requirements! LOL

Amy

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

It looks great. It must surely be heated to keep Pelargoniums alive when it hits zero (F) outside!

• cactus_kate
    18 years ago

Windsurfgirl: I am certainly jealous! It's such a cute little greenhouse! However, I have to echo an earlier question...Is it heated? I can't imagine most of those plants making it through a zone 6 winter unheated.

Amy: HEE HEE! That sound like my house, too, except I have no basement to share with them, so they are all spread out in my dining room and living room, and unfortunately, I had to put a couple Aloes in northeast-facing windows in bedrooms, and I know they don't get the light they need, but I have run out of room! Next year - Greenhouse or solarium!!!

Kate

• Lynn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes it's heated. I have a small space heater inside. I have it plugged into a greenhouse thermostat and keep it set at 50 degrees. So all winter the temp. never drops below 50. The twinwall polycarbonate is very energy efficient, I don't really notice a spike in my electric bill at all from heating the greenhouse. With even a little sun the heater won't run during the day. Last year it got to 6 degrees at night one night and my heater kept up and the temp. inside was 49. I've been very happy with it. I've never lost a plant inside. I do have a backup propane camping heater in case I lose electricity.
    The cedar trees you see are on the north side and provide a wind break in the winter and I get lots of sun on the south side. In the summer I add shade cloth but still have to move out around May because it will get 100 here for long periods. The cactus go to the porch and patio then.

WindsurfGirl

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Maybe you could unglaze the sides in summer? So it just provides a bit of shelter from rain but doesn't heat up.

• rjj1
    18 years ago

WindsurfGirl

Very nice. Sometimes I wish my greenhouse was a little smaller :-). With propane up around .40 cents a gallon from last year, I'm thinking of alternative measures for heating.

I don't like using the greenhouse through the growing season myself. I want all my nice things around the house where they can be enjoyed all the time and not when I just go to the greenhouse. Screwing and unscrewing panels is more wear and tear on expensive things that are going to wear out faster.

randy

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH