Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID please

Posted by Steve_nz (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 24, 05 at 15:01

Lovely flower, plant grows up to size of basketball at least.

Here is a link that might be useful: pic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID please

I am not so familiar with South American cacti. But could it be an Acanthocalycium?

Jordi

o

The flower certainly looks to be in the Echinopsis family, but that's the limit of my knowledge :)

o

I would look for some red flowered Notocactus/Parodia.
3 answers, 3 different genus... good luck! :)

Alessandro

o

Could it be Soehrensia bruchii?
That is if it still goes under this name.
Niel.

o

Oh how I love the lumpers! Soehrensia? Acanthocalycium? Lobivia? Helianthocereus? Who knows?

But I can guess Echinopsis and always be right ;)

o

I guess I am just old fashioned and stick with the old names.
The "Lumpers" have a lot to answer for especially when it comes to judging the Echinopsis Group now with so many Genera all thrown into together.
For example a meter high Trichocereus alongside a small bodied Lobivia in the same show class under the name Echinopsis, where do we go from here why don't they just simplify it once and for all and call every genera Cactus.
I don't think so.
Up until the Lumpers got their way if someone talked about say a Lobivia you could picture it in your mind but not now,an Echinopsis can now range from small globular to large cereus type plants.
The Rebutia Group has become the same,I could go on but I will climb down from my soapbox.
Niel.

o

I'm right with yer Niel, name 'em all Cactus and end the confusion :)

I could just about stomach Cactus and Opuntia so those nasty glochidy things have to go on a different bench!

o

G'day Steve, I found this pic of Lobivia (Soehrensia) bruchii, scanned from a slide I took at a garden on the mainland a few years ago. This clump of L. bruchii was over a mertre wide. I reckon this is what your plant is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here