Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_nz

ID please

steve_nz
18 years ago

Lovely flower, plant grows up to size of basketball at least.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (8)

• cactusjordi
    18 years ago

I am not so familiar with South American cacti. But could it be an Acanthocalycium?

Jordi

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

The flower certainly looks to be in the Echinopsis family, but that's the limit of my knowledge :)

• alealdo
    18 years ago

I would look for some red flowered Notocactus/Parodia.
    3 answers, 3 different genus... good luck! :)

Alessandro

• Niel42_Scotland
    18 years ago

Could it be Soehrensia bruchii?
    That is if it still goes under this name.
    Niel.

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Oh how I love the lumpers! Soehrensia? Acanthocalycium? Lobivia? Helianthocereus? Who knows?

But I can guess Echinopsis and always be right ;)

• Niel42_Scotland
    18 years ago

I guess I am just old fashioned and stick with the old names.
    The "Lumpers" have a lot to answer for especially when it comes to judging the Echinopsis Group now with so many Genera all thrown into together.
    For example a meter high Trichocereus alongside a small bodied Lobivia in the same show class under the name Echinopsis, where do we go from here why don't they just simplify it once and for all and call every genera Cactus.
    I don't think so.
    Up until the Lumpers got their way if someone talked about say a Lobivia you could picture it in your mind but not now,an Echinopsis can now range from small globular to large cereus type plants.
    The Rebutia Group has become the same,I could go on but I will climb down from my soapbox.
    Niel.

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

I'm right with yer Niel, name 'em all Cactus and end the confusion :)

I could just about stomach Cactus and Opuntia so those nasty glochidy things have to go on a different bench!

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

G'day Steve, I found this pic of Lobivia (Soehrensia) bruchii, scanned from a slide I took at a garden on the mainland a few years ago. This clump of L. bruchii was over a mertre wide. I reckon this is what your plant is.

{{gwi:486662}}