Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_nz

Lobivia silvestrii

steve_nz
18 years ago

A common plant but nice looking when it flowers...

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (11)

• steve_nz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yeah, used to be known as Chamaecereus sylvestrii, Cereus silvestrii, Lobivia silvestrii. Just looked on Desert Tropicals and it is listed as Echinopsis. I don't bother to change my labels for many years until names have been settled or are common usage.

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

Ha! How funny! I've got mine labeled as Chamacereus. Personally, I don't care for the Echinopsis name. To me, those are much larger in stature and it just doesn't seem right to call something so petite an Echinopsis. I know size has nothing to do with it, but still. What can I say, I'm a stubborn Scot!

Amy

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

G'day Steve, this plant would have to be one of the most commonly grown cactus plants (at least down here, but I never tire of it, and I kind of agree with you Amy, I'd rather see it under it's original name for similar reasons. Because of these constant name changes, I like to record the "old names" on my tags as well, as a means of keeping tabs on what really is what.
    BTW, one of the old ladies where I work gave me a nice clump of Chamaecereus silvestrii only yesterday, it's growing in a dog!.. not a real dog, a crockery dog! she considered that she's unable to care for it any more, and made me promise to care for it... how could I knock back an offer like that?. :)

I'll post a pic of it soon

Cheers, CP

• deefar
    18 years ago

Very nice looking plant and flowers.

Dawn

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

CP, you sure do get plants in the oddest ways! Please be sure to post a pic of the dog planter!
    Amy

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

LOL! yes Amy, I guess I do... Working in a nursing home sort of helps lots of old folk come here and invariably bring some of their potted plants with them, they generously offer cuttings/plants to anyone who shows an interest.

CP

• luthien79
    18 years ago

I like these too and their hybrids.

I prefer to keep it under the name of chamaecereus silvestrii and the hybrids are known as chamaelobivia because they are chams crossed with various lobivias. Tough plants these are too. I've seen a load of cham silvestrii growing in a shallow tray sit outside all winter here in the UK with all our frosts, some snow and loads of rain and high humidity next to cold temps....and it survived, haha. Our winters aren't the coldest these days but the humidity and amount of rain we get during the cold temps would finish most cacti off in no time.

Toni-Marie

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

The big lumping into Echinopsis has one really good side-effect: all the complicated inter-generic hybrids are suddenly just hybrid Echinopsis :)

Toni-Marie, you might want to try some other Lobivia outdoors in winter, quite a few of them are really tough.

• BuckHemenway
    18 years ago

Does everyone have their order in for the New Cactus Lexicon? Maybe David Hunt watches this forum and can clue us in as to what new name this beauty will have next year.

{{gwi:486981}}

• Deanna Horton
    6 years ago

I love these little original guys. Got them from my great grandma years ago, always she had them calling them the wrong name I just now learn. I have to start calling them peanuts (nick name). I wish I knew more about their origins in nature, if they are still existing between some rocks wildly hanging and happy. Glad to see them on the net, Living in SoCal not ever having seen another. Dee of L.A.

Sponsored