Comments (9)

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

Nice one Al, I really like those.
    Amy

• ariole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

So doI Amy. This plant is a real oldie. The flowers are nicer than the ancient body. My particular variety of cricket likes to nibble on these. :-(

Al

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

Very nice Al, I'm hoping I get flowers from mine this season.

CP

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

A question about this one...do the leaves get replaced by new ones each year like Lithops or do they stay on the plant longer? I'm not familiar with this one, but I do like it very much. This is a monotypic genus, right? I might have to get one of these soon! It would fit in nicely with my growing collection of Mesembs.
    Amy

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Amy, Lapidaria is monotypic. The old leaves do shrivel away, but it typically has two pairs of leaves at a time. Try to limit water so that the newest leaf pair is strong and healthy but allow older leaves to shrivel. Other than that they grow a lot like Lithops here, and are believed to be a kind of ancestral Lithops, or at least a more primitive descendant of an ancestral Lithops.

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

Very interesting indeed! Thanks Ian.
    Amy

• ariole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I hope I'm not boring you all with my constant posting. A goal is to keep a digital record of most of my plants. I also am having a lot of fun with my new toy, the digital camera. Occasionally I feel compelled to share. And very often I learn tons about my plants.

I'm grateful.

Al

• ooojen
    18 years ago

Nowhere near bored! I'm really enjoying seeing some of the less-often-posted types of plants.

• cactus_cowboy
    18 years ago

Very nice. I grew it for years, until a greenhouse heater failure. Wonderful scent, if I remember correctly.

Dave in Wyoming

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor