Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cactus ID

Posted by toddinsoutherncal zone 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 19, 05 at 16:14

Hello all -

Heres a cactus I couldn't resist picking up at a local box store. Mama and twenty pups for 5 bucks. The plant wasn't labeled so I'd really like an ID. Can you tell by looking at the cephalium if a plant has flowered yet?

Thanks,

ToddO
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cactus ID

How about Discocactus zehntneri? I wonder if it might be grafted under there?

o

I would rather say it is Discocactus bueneckeri.
Where is James? He is THE expert for this kind of plants.

Jordi

o

Interesting thought S-n-B. I was going to repot it today but thought I would wait to see if it flowered soon. I didn't want to shock it out of flower. I just moved alot of the top dressing away and it doesn't look grafted at all.

I'll look up D. zehntneri in the meantime.

Thanks

ToddO

o

Thanks Jordi- We must have posted at the same time. It looks very much like D. Bueneckeri and I will consider it such until it flowers. Thanks - ToddO

o

That is a fantastic score!!! Congrats!!
Bill in SC

o

I have been gone all week-end. I think you have one of the many Discocactus hybrids/cultivars that are becoming fairly common in cultivation. Plants of this genus are quite easy to cross-pollinate and hybridize. Andrew Tourbechev (sp.), Miles Anderson and myself (I am sure there are others) have produced quite a few hybrids in the last few years -- some successful -- some not. One much sought after result is to cross D. buenekeri and D. horstii in order to produce a plant that would have the freely produced basal offsets and intense floral fragrance of the former and the intensly colored epidermis and pronounced cephalium/rib structure of the latter. We are not quite there yet. I have appended photos of some of these hybrids below. I suspect your plant is a hybrid of D. buenekeri and D. zehntneri.

D. buenekeri x D. horstii

D. horstii x D. buenekeri

D. crystallophilus x D. horstii

D. insignis x D. crystallophilus

o
treatment

I wouldn't disturb it at all, Todd. It may have flowered and the floral/fruit remnants removed. With good treatment it should flower on and off throughout the year. My D. buenekeri and D. horstii have produced flowers in great profusion over the past two weeks. Refer to http://jp29.org/cecu.htm for cultivational information.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here