Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emyemy_gw

Staying out of trouble

emyemy
18 years ago

Hello all,

While doing my weekly inspection of my plants I discovered visitors in my crested Pedilanthus macrocarpa. They were minding their own business hoping that I did not disturb them so I didn't.

Emy

Image link:

Comments (15)

• cactusdan19
    18 years ago

That's really cool Emy,
    They do look content don't they. Do you know what kind of frogs they are?
    Dan

• deefar
    18 years ago

How cool is that. They look so comfy-cozy.

Dawn

• pianodoctor
    18 years ago

Cool. Cuban tree frogs, I believe.

• cactus_kate
    18 years ago

What a great discovery! I am so glad you took the photo and shared them with all of us! I don't have any native frogs where I live, except for the dinner plate sized bullfrogs in the golf course water hazards. Thanks again!

Kate

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

Emy, I have a real soft spot for frogs, and I have two ponds just for frogs to breed in. I love to listen to their calls at night, particularly when it rains, we get quite a chorus happening, it's like music to the ears, I can hear them out there even as I type.
    Thanks for sharing your pic, they look really cute.

CP

• luthien79
    18 years ago

Aw, I like frogs. We have a lot in our garden, even before we got a pond. Now we see even more of them along with toads which are also dead cute.

Toni-Marie

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

They are marvelous creatures! Lucky you to have them as visitors. I wish we had more of them here.
    Amy

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Those are neat lil frogs, Emy! I haven't seen any of them around here in eons!

On another note, I was checking out some archives of GW from the early days & found a post by you (about a Stapelia) on the C & S forum back in Oct 1996! That was before there ever was a Cacti Gallery Forum! Saw other posts from several of the old-timers like me. If was fun seeing how the forums were back then & how far we've come.

~Rosemarie

• Denise
    18 years ago

What an great pic, Emy. I, too, love frogs. Looked into getting a pet frog to keep in a terrarium a few years ago and was disappointed to read that you shouldn't handle them too much. I like pets I can hold and pet... Ah, well, I'll admire them from afar, I guess...

CP, I envy you. I grew up in the country where you could hear the crickets, locusts, frogs in the summer and it was like a lullaby at night. Here in the city, we only hear the crickets in the early/mid fall. How I miss the music!!

Denise in Omaha

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

Denise, I consider myself priveleged to be able to enjoy the critters that come to our small suburban block, I too grew up in the country, and I miss the diversity of wildlife that I enjoyed in there.

CP

• emyemy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I don't know what type of frogs they are, probably Cuban frogs as stated earlier; we also have the Cuban anole roaming around in our back yards--these guys can get big and are aggressive if you try to catch them. These frogs have what appear to be suction cups on their toes.

Emy

• billinsc
    18 years ago

Yes, all the tree frogs have the suction cup toes. I have never seen the white ones like yours. Thanks for sharing.
    Bill in SC

• ooojen
    18 years ago

Those are cute as can be! Our frogs are all holed up for the winter. I don't suppose I'll be seeing any until the little Spring Peepers come out in April. They're the early birds of the ranid world around here.

The Pedilanthus looks like an interesting one.

• cactusjordi
    18 years ago

Ooojen,

You are right, not only the frogs are cute but also the Pedilanthus macrocarpus is an interesting plant.
    Here are its seeds pods:
    {{gwi:487366}}

Jordi

• ooojen
    18 years ago

Oh, that's wonderful!
    I haven't gotten P. tithymaloides to bloom indoors, so I don't suppose I have much chance of seeing flowers and seed pods up here, but looks interesting even without the fantastic pods!