Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Now thinking 'Neochilenia'

Posted by ariole z7DE (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 11, 05 at 17:02

Last month I was trying to put this stout spined 'Big Box Rescue' among the Gymnos. A visiting cactus grower suggested I look among the Neochilenias. It's expanding over it's 4" pot.

Do you say "Yay" or "Nay"?

Al

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Now thinking 'Neochilenia'

G'day Al, Iit looks like it's got chins, I'd leave it among the Gymno's until a flower tells me otherwise... it reminds me of Gymno tillianum (except for a couple of extra spines).

:) CP

o

I like to think of Neocilenias and Neoporterias as having pseudo-chins :)

I hope this picture shows what I mean. See the protruding part of the tubercle below the areole?

But you know the rules! Want a name? Find a flower :)

o

CP - SnB,
I agree that tillianum is just not quite it.

And "Want a name? Find a flower" is the best advice out there.

Today was a sunny one but with a raw wind off the ocean. I decided to stay inside and look at plants that needed naming. This is one of them. To me that plant with its particular spines has a unique appearance that just might prompt someone to say that they know what it is.

I need to practice patience and will wait until i see a flower.

Al

o

• Posted by Noom 10a/Bangkok (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 11, 05 at 19:13

Very nice plant. But it's not Neochilenia. It's absolutely Gymnocalycium marsoneri.

Enjoy,
Noom.

o
RE: Now thinking 'Neochilenia' ????

Many thanks, Noom.

I did a quick search and came up with this pic link. I think you nailed it for me.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: G. marsoneri

o

How about this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: G. marsoneri

o

It's always a happy day when one of my no name plants crosses over to the other side.

With all the searching of pictures I did for this one I'm surprised I never came across this close match.

Many many thanks to all.

Al

o

I have no idea, but I would have adopted it too.

Gil

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here