Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
billinsc

Discocactus?

billinsc
18 years ago

Made a last sweep through Lowes and Wal-Mart today. Picked this one up at Wal-Mart for $2.72.. Is it a Discocactus? It has very fine hooked spines.. (couldn't resist!!)

{{gwi:487737}}
Bill in SC

Comments (10)

• ariole
    18 years ago

Mammillaria senilis, Perhaps. A bloomin' treasure.

Al

• ariole
    18 years ago

When you get a plant with forty or more heads blooming, it's spectacular. Wonderful non Mammillaria like flowers of an intense red.When I got my plant it was called something like Mamillopsis senilis.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: M. senilis

• deefar
    18 years ago

I'm not sure but I don't think discocactus has hooked spines, but than again I could be wrong. Mammillaria senilis has beautiful flowers. You'll enjoy them.

Dawn

• jamesicus
    18 years ago

I don't believe so, Bill. I will be very surprised if it pops a cephalium! I am not much up to speed on these, but its spination and form reminds me of the Mammillaria (syn. Mamillopsis) senilis I used to grow.

James

• billinsc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, though disappointed that it is not a Disco, I am thrilled to know that it is a beautiful blooming Mamm. I have a heap of Mamms to liquidate next spring. I don't like the ones that have the ring of tiny flowers, and I am getting rid of all of them I have. Maybe this M. senilis will be a keeper!! Thanks folks for your ID, and info...
    Bill in SC

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

This is what you've got Bill. It used to be Mammillopsis senilis, but no matter what the name you sure did get a beauty!!

{{gwi:487739}}{{gwi:487742}}

{{gwi:487733}}{{gwi:487733}}Enjoy, CP

• billinsc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Nice pics CP.. Now I am looking forward to those bright red blooms. Does it bloom just once a season, or continuously?
    Bill in SC

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

Bill, sometimes like other Mamms, you get a succession of flowers but not as many, other times they all seem to come at once, so either way it's flowering season is comparitively short.

It needs to be grown like any other soft-bodied Mamms like bocasana, guelzowiana, nana, etc. 'cause they're easy to kill.
    They're relatively easy from seed, I have sown a few seeds this season with good germination rate so far, and also have managed to germinate a few of the WHITE flowered form... until I saw this on the list, I didn't know there was a white flowered form, so I'm really looking forward to these too!

Happy growing mate, CP

• ariole
    18 years ago

I went looking for a picture of my plant in bloom but came up lacking. I think CP has a much better touch with his than I do with mine. I know that the plant pictured had no flowers at all this spring. When this plant does bloom, the season is short. I decided to spin the plant and count heads-40 in all. I blame my lack of blooms on less than brilliant sunshine. Flowers, if I get them, are always produced against the glass. Is that due to better light or cooler temperatures? I wish I knew witch. I could probably give it cooler nights but the increase in light will occur only when my neighbor cuts down their massive wild cherry tree and I would hate to see that happen.

{{gwi:487744}}

All in all, Bill, I'm sure happy you have one of these. In or out of bloom it is one of my all-time favourite plants, not just Mammillarias.

Yes, CP is very correct. It is possible to rot one away in a flash.

Happy, happy growing.

BTW, I've never even seen a picture of the white flowered form.

Also, CP, I apologize for using image shack, considering the problems you have viewing the pictures. I am always very grateful to read your comments.

I'm looking into changing but I like this site very much.

Al

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

That's OK Al, apologies not necessary, don't change if you like what you've got... I still have ways of viewing your pics and am pleased to do so. :) Your mamm senilis is an absolute beauty!! I really don't know what it is that induces better flowering on these, I've never really had to think about it because they just do it. I do grow mine in the brightest part of the GH with goo air circulation, I don' know if that helps.

CP

Sponsored