Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID this Mamm.

Posted by tequila 26N 97.5W Z 9b (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 28, 05 at 19:28

Need help on the ID of this Mammillaria, growing in the same pot with G. damsii and Cereus tetragonus
Alfonso

Image link: ID this Mamm. (55 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID this Mamm.

I might be wrong Alfonso, but it looks like a common magnimamma to me.

Alessandro

o

G'day Alfonso, I think it may be Mamm lloydii, check out the pics on mammillarias.net, here's the link...

Mamm lloydii Cheers, CP

o

• Posted by tequila 26N 97.5W Z 9b (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 30, 05 at 13:18

Thank you both. I noticed today some flower buds appearing. I am going to wait, so the flowers can help.
Alfonso

o

Looks more like M. lloydii. It appears to have strongly-edged tubercles and three or four relatively even spines. M. magnimamma tends to have one long spine and then usually a few smaller ones, and less edgy tubercles. The two species are closely related and have somewhat similar flowers. M. magnimamma flowers should be a little larger and can be completely pink, but may also be white with red stripe. M. lloydii appears more like some M. magnimamma than some M. magnimammas do :)

o
Mammillaria

Wed, Nov 30, 05 at 18:57

The flower buds are comming, and appears to be white or cream with brown stripes, I am going to wait until they are full open.
Alfonso

o

The flower buds slowly appearing, and looks green
Alfonso

o

Fri, Dec 16, 05 at 19:50

The flower buds are comming very slow,
Do you think in M. lloydi or M. karwinskiana?
Here is the new picture
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Alfonso

o

Now that I can see it more closely, those bristles in the axils and the flowers are more like karwinskyana.

CP

o

From the spines and tubercles I would have said M. lloydii, but that much wool is unusual and I've never seen bristles like that on M. lloydii. M. lloydii flowers are very pale with just a slight reddish striping. I've never seen them this dark.

M. karwinskiana certainly has wool and bristles like that and can have flowers like that. It usually has more, stronger, and longer spines but is very variable and sometimes has spines like this. The flowers are usually even more red than this but can be a mix of reddish a yellowish like your buds seem to be. My vote at this point.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here