o
South African Portulacaceae with a side of Michigan stones

Posted by jamesfe b5 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 6, 05 at 19:56

Plants and rocks go together!!Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: South African Portulacaceae with a side of Michigan stones

Ooh, those are pretty stones! Nice plant too! Makes me think about breaking out my long forgotten rock collection & putting it to better use! Thanks!

~Rosemarie

o

Thanks for sharing, James! Those rocks plant! errrrr...I mean That Plant Rocks! Yeah, that's it! That plant rocks! The stones are pretty too.

Kate

o

Nice one James, I like your rocks... you've just reminded me of one of the passions of my late father, he use to polish stones, ...I used to go rock collecting with him a lot.

Thanks, CP

o

James -
a buddy has been growing a plant for about a year that looks to me to be the same as this photo. the only name he was given for it was 'elephant plant'...is this correct? same plant you think?

o

May I answer for James? From the looks of it, I believe that's Portulacaria afra (variegate), aka Elephant Bush.

I really love this plant, always reminds me of a miniature variegated Jade; but I fail miserably at growing it. My next to last one lasted a year, my recent one died w/in the last month (I think that makes 4 I've failed w/).

Clearly, James you're doing something very right as yours looks lovely & quite healthy; pretty alongside the rocks too. How big is that? Nice shot, thanks for the post.

o

Thanks PG. it is good to know that occasionally the big boxes do get one tagged correctly!
Jo

o

• Posted by Baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 9, 05 at 6:35

I have the same elephant bush as you as well as the green variety. It seems like the variegated variety grows slower. I agree, - stones go well with plants. The cacti in local deserts are naturally decorated with semiprecious stones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here