Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohio_green_thumb

Gibbaeum dispar

Ohio_Green_Thumb
18 years ago

This cute, fuzzy little gem is just darling! I am eager to care for it properly, so can someone please tell me if it will absorb those old leaves, or will they remain? Information I've found doesn't go into leaf absorption, just water requirements. At this point the leaves are all quite turgid and I've been very careful about giving it only enough water to keep the feeder roots healthy. Maybe a spray or two from my mister twice a week.

I've read that this species flowers after the winter solstice, but will have to wait to find out. Since it's been repotted, it may decide not to flower at all.

Amy

{{gwi:488260}}

Comments (3)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Very nice! These little Gibbaeums are so cute! If you like this one, keep an eye out for G. nebrownii which is one of my favourites. Here's a plant (not mine) at a recent show under its old name.

{{gwi:488262}}

I don't have this particular species but care should be similar to other small Gibbaeums. They will absorb the old leaves, but you don't have to manically keep them to a single leaf pair. They will branch out sideways like a groundcover and I think this is starting on your's now. Keep the new growth happy without overwatering and the old leaves will slowly go away. In growth they like quite a bit of water. Water deeply, they have a taproot. When not in growth, they are extremely drought-tolerant although they stay looking exactly the same. Try to water just enough to stop the newest leaves wrinkling up. Its tricky knowing when they are dormant, probably in the middle of your summer and possibly in the middle of winter. They will need lots of winter sun to flower.

I notice some small white depressions on your plants. Keep a close watch on these. I still don't know for sure what causes them, I have a suspicion it is mite damage on the newest leaves which then develops into the sunken white spots. They can develop seriously deformed leaves in bad cases.

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you S&B, that is very helpful! I too noticed the sunken spots. Mites aren't a problem for me, so I'm hoping that the new leaves will look better than the old. Who knows what they came in contact with in the greenhouse they came from. A flower this winter would be wonderful, but I won't hold my breath!

When I potted this one, I noticed a very large root system in contrast with the small heads. Obviously, this one is capable of surviving lengthy droughts! It's an impressive plant indeed.

All the Gibbaeums are attractive to me, but the photo you posted is especially so. Thank you.

Amy

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

The Gibbaeums are really sweet little Mesembs, I love the felty texture of the leaves, A friend of mine had several species that she took great pride in, I've never tried to grow them myself, I noticed several species on Rudolph Schultz's plant list this year... maybe I should give in to the temptation...

Cheers, CP