Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need ID confirmations

Posted by Ohio_Green_Thumb Zone 5b NW Ohio (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 19, 05 at 20:33

I've got two plants that I'm not 100% certain of. The first is ID'd as Cheiridopsis purpurea but since I've just gotten it, I have no idea what color its flowers will be. The leaves are chunky and spotted, which seems to be correct for C. purpurea.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

The second is this Adromischus. Al, you may remember I posted this one a few months ago. I've always thought it was bolusii, but could it be one of the forms of cooperi? I can't find anything on bolusii on the internet. This plant produces pale pink flowers in late spring, if that helps any.

In the last photo, you can see a small tip cutting that I just took a few days ago. I like the attractive, thick stems of this one and I'm sure it will be very attractive when it gets older.

Many thanks in advance,

Amy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need ID confirmations

I'm not convinced by C. purpurea. It looks like it is a sheathing species, possibly even a dimorphic one. Watch how it develops over the year, and a flower would be a great clue.

o

Nice plants Amy.
I would say your Adromischus looks more like A.triflorus than A.cooperi there is so much variation in leaf forms within the species that sometimes it is quite difficult to get a hard and fast ID.
The flowers are a great way of narrowing it down as it puts your plant into the right group or section for IDing.
If you get a chance to obtain the excellent book Adromischus by John Pilbeam,Chris Rodgerson and Derek Tribble you will find it very informative with super pictures of all the species and shows also the different flowers within the different groups.
Hope this helps.
Niel.

o

Nice plants Amy :)

Dawn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here