Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohio_green_thumb

Flowers for Rosemarie

Ohio_Green_Thumb
18 years ago

Finally, here are the much-anticipated photos of my A. bakeri's flowers. They are bell shaped and creamy white with green stripes. So what do you think?

Amy

{{gwi:488589}}

{{gwi:488591}}

Here's the whole plant for reference:

{{gwi:488593}}

Comments (10)

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

For ME??? OooEeee...I do believe they are the SAME as mine!! What beautiful shots of yours, Amy!

So you believe this is the REAL deal A. bakeri?? All the flowers I had seen of it in the past were different. I don't recall them being bell-shaped.

Thanks for all the pix! I'm going to go off on a search. Back if I find something!
    ~Rosemarie

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

I'm thinking Aloe bakeri x Aloe albiflora! Ha! The bell shape & plant body/leaves are like the albiflora & flower color a mix, but more like bakeri.

I think I need to check around some more. It's beautiful, isn't it?!

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I trust your instincts with this one Rosemarie, you know your succulents! For all I know it could very well be an A. bakeri crossed with something else. Isn't it odd that we both have the same plant that seems to want to be anonymous? Hopefully your search will prove fruitful.
    Amy

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Yes, it is odd...AND frustrating! It looks more like an Aloe albiflora, but with more color in the flowers. The inflorescence is the same too.

Here's one site that has the pix listed as Aloe albiflora, but because it's in another language, I'm not sure the question mark is just that or taking the place of a symbol. I think the flowers are very close to ours. The stamen do not stick out as much as on an albiflora though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aloe albiflora mb~like ours

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmm, this is frustrating! I'm beginning to think I should change the name on this one yet again! Last year I had it tagged as A. bellatula, until it bloomed. Now I don't know what to think!

It is a very nice Aloe, either way. I like it's compact growth habit, spotted leaves and lovely flowers. Mine is very puppiferous, is yours too? Mine shot out about 5 pups since bringing it in last month! And it's also sent up a 2nd inflorescence. This one must be Madagascan the way it grows! It's crazy I tell ya, crazy!!!

Amy

• Niel42_Scotland
    18 years ago

Hi Rosemarie & Amy,
    You both have a very nice plant with beautiful flowers but I would say definately a hybrid.
    I have Aloe bakeri ISI 447 and the body shape is entirely different from your plant.
    My own plant has short stems app 120mm with leaves horizontal or downwards turning and yellow flowers.
    Your plant could be A.albiflora x bakeri or a combination of A. (bellatula x bakeri)x albiflora.
    There is a fair number of hybrids around using those three varities.
    The flowers are appearing on my A.bakeri so I will try and take a photo when they are out full for you to compare.
    Regards,
    Niel.

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Yep, Amy, 'tis crazy all right! I don't like changing my tags either. (Who does?!) My original tag had Aloe vera!

Mine has put out several pups. I'm sure it will continue. I made the mistake of putting it in full sun one day & it immediately turned brownish. I like that type of coloring of some of my plants, but liked the way this one looked already. So, back to the shade it went & the green leaves are coming back. Yay!

Thanks, Niel, for the additional info! Interesting, that bellatula x bakeri mix in there...that makes sense. Looking forward to pix of your Aloe bakeri. I once bought a plant tagged as such. It turned out to be Aloe 'Lizard Lips'! :D

Here is mine from a month ago with 4 flower stalks:
    {{gwi:488587}}

~Rosemarie

• Niel42_Scotland
    18 years ago

Nice plant Rosemarie.
    I have quite a few of the smaller growing Aloes including hybrids but not your plant.
    The flower differs from my Aloes bakeri,bellatula and albiflora but a hybrid between those varieties seems right.
    I have A.bellatula x bakeri, A.bellatula x jacksonii,
    A.bakeri x jacksonii as well as but again the flowers are different.
    It is amazing the differences between some of the hybrids which I think is the fascination in collecting them although it does become harder to seek out new additions.

Regards,
    Niel.

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That photo of yours is very nice, Rosemarie. I see that the base of the flowers on yours is pinkish while mine is a uniform cream color. Now I don't know if we have the same plant, although the flower color of mine might be effected by being under artificial lights when it blooms. The foliage is dead on identical, right down to the stressed suntan mine gets when first put out in the spring. I wish it would bloom earlier while it's still outside, but I'll take what I can get.

For now, I'll consider mine to be an Aloe bakeri cross and leave it at that.

Amy

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

Whatever it is, it's an Aloe I must get... I'm smitten by those flowers. Lovely photography as usual Amy!

CP.

Sponsored