Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wazungy

New opuntia type, needs ID

wazungy
18 years ago

Hi all!

I purchased this plant which looks like some sort of opuntia or cylidropuntia about 3 weeks ago. It is already showing quite a bit of growth since I brought it home.

I have been unable to find a match in any of the websites I looked at(for opuntia, cylindropuntia).

Can anyone help ID?

Thanks,

Waz

Image link:

Comments (6)

• metamog
    18 years ago

It looks like a Rhipsalis to me.

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Waz,

I was thinking it might be a Senecio, Like S. deflersii or other.

~Rosemarie

Here is a link that might be useful: Senecio deflersii

• wazungy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I looked at all the senecio web-photos I could find.
    At first I couldn't believe it they looked too different. I thought the senecio deflersii listed above was mislabelled.
    But as I found more deflersii photos I am coming around to the idea that it is in fact some sort of senecio.
    Google pickle plant for more photos.

The rhipsalis suggestion was good, but I cannot agree.
    I could not believe this plant of mine was not some form of cactus. I am surprised that as I learn more and more about cactii, that it is so easy to see similarities to let's say opuntia, but be totally off the mark!

Here is one last parting shot, a closer view just in case it will help with a more positive ID.

Thanks,

Waz

• cactusdan19
    18 years ago

Waz,
    Look for a Ceropegia match. I just started a lot of seeds of many different Ceropegia and it looks like a couple of them. Not Opunita or Rhipsalis.
    Dan

• vvdo
    18 years ago

This is posted recently in this forum...

Here is a link that might be useful: It may be similar to this...

• wazungy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry, I did not have the option to add a jpg to the last post I made as planned.

Ok, the evidence is overwhelming.

Looks like I went out, bought a nice unusual opuntia which later turned out to be some sort of senecio-succulent. Well it IS unusual so I guess I'll keep it dispite it not being a cactus.

Thanks all,

Waz

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource