Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sztepanov

id for cacti--euphorbia?

sztepanov
18 years ago

Appreciate, if someone could give me an exact ID for this cacti...is iy an Euphorbia and if so ,what exactly? Thanks and happy new year to all

{{gwi:489852}}
{{gwi:489854}}

Comments (17)

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

Im a bit confused here,am I looking at a greyish plant thats grafted onto a Pereskia, and the pereskia has grown back?
    Or are there two plants in one pot here?
    Either way, the grey part looks like some crested form of a Euphorbia, and in which case its not a cactus.

• sztepanov
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks for the fast reply. no, it is one plant....i have seen this kind somewhere on the net already...the grayish crest exists in different shades here ...I was told it is the 'flower'....actually it is one stem ( the one with the thorns and the green leaves) and on the side grows this kind of crest. i have 2 of those. Euphorbia is not a cactus? Is it a succulent per se or to what 'family' does it belong? So what shall I call this plant now?
    the second one i have has red flowers on top 9 for quite some time now...unfortunately, i do not have pics right now but if you want, I can make some tomorrow and postthem)

thanks

• anya_101
    18 years ago

Euphorbia lactea crest, grafted onto a Pereskia.

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

I wouldn't have thought you could graft a Euphorb onto a Pereskia, then again, what I know about grafting could be written on a postage stamp! I think the crest is beautiful ...in a sort of grotesque way! ;)
    To answer your question, Euphorbiaceae is a large family of plants with over 7,000 species that are characterized by their milky sap. some euphorbias are succulent and even cactus-like, while others are shrubs, herbs or even trees.

CP.

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Pereskiopsis surely? Pereskia is something else :)

Is it absolutely Pereskiopsis and not some look-alike Euphorbia species?

I agree that's a E. lactea crest grafted onto it, but wouldn't have thought that a graft onto a catus would be viable.

• www_euphorbia_de
    18 years ago

Gosh! Euphorbias grafted on cacti!

ROFL !!!

Not at all my dear.
    Please attend to the stock's paired spines that don't occur in cacti but are typical in euphorbias!

Roland,
    basically, the plant's shape is the one of an Indian Euphrobia. Then the unique looking cylindrical shoots and the red "flowers" lead to E. caducifolia. There is a smaller leaved form of E. caducifolia spread in cultivation, but according to literature its leaf size may considerably vary depending on the certain point of origin. Obviously this large leaved form is a vigorous grower that suits well to push a scion.

As always in branching stocks you better cut that branch off (and root it) or the scion will starve to death.

Frank
    www.euphorbia.de

• tequila
    18 years ago

I have an Euphorbia trigona crestata variegata, but mine is grafted over an Euphorbia trigona "rubrum".
    I said that the white one is an Euphorbia trigona, because it has a normal growt in one branch, that I cut and right now is living is his own roots. It is not totaly lack of chlorophil because at the cut is green inside.
    {{gwi:489856}}
    Alfonso

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

Sure is a nice plant Alfonso.

CP

• anya_101
    18 years ago

Hark!
    I stand corrected, thank you shrubs_n_bulbs. It is indeed Pereskiopsis, that I meant. : )

Rose

• tequila
    18 years ago

The one in the back is not Pereskiopsis, just look at the spines. It is an Euphorbia.
    Alfonso

• sztepanov
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks for all your help...although I am still a bit in the dark on how to label it now...the crested part is a E. lactea...correct? but the back part is also an Euphorbia ,according to Alfonso,...so how do I label it? E.lactea together with a Euphorbia..??? ?
    Appreciate your final input:)
    another ID is coming soon..as usual, thanks to all of you.
    roland
    Frank ...what is a scion? In case you speak German, you can tell me in German...have no clue what it is and why I should cut it off.
    thanks

• Pieter
    18 years ago

Hi,
    AFAIK the most common uszed stock for these albino E. lactea are Euphorbia neriifolia. A graft exists of 2 parts: a stock (part with the roots) and a scion (upper part).
    HTH
    Pieter

• odyssey3
    16 years ago

I am trying to ID a cutting I just got, I ran across this post--it is exactly the long green thorny part in the first picture! Sort of like a thorny, succulent pumeria. Could someone confirm that this is this a Pereskiopsis?

• albert_kaufman
    15 years ago

Although the plant that was grafted is similar to some of the Indian Euphorbias, my guess is that it is an African E. franckiana f. monstrosa.

• joshinator
    15 years ago

To sum up all this info, the stock (part with the roots) is Euphorbia neriifolia and the mutated greyish part is Euphorbia lactea cristata, grafted on. The E. neriifolia sprouted a branch from one of the buds on the bottom, and the branch grew until you took this picture. This branch really should be cut off, because it will suck so much energy that the E. lactea will not get enough resources to survive. The tall green part is most certainly E. neriifolia and not Pereskia or Pereskiopsis; note the double spines shaped sort of like a goathead seed (we have goatheads all over the place in Idaho). Cacti have either one or many thorns, but rarely two and never short and thick like this.

• iceopals
    14 years ago

This information is wonderful! It is EXACTLY the situation I have run into and I was trying to find out about cutting off that shoot of the base Euphorbia neriifolia. I am concerned about the massive latex bleed that I am sure will happen. Won't that risk the health of the original base plant as well as the grafted scion? Is there something additional I should do to keep the latex from flowing so freely and depleting the plant too much? Thank you in advance!!!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    14 years ago

No it won't - lukewarm water sprayed/poured on the cut will staunch the flow.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County