Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deefar

Holy Christmas to me!!

deefar
18 years ago

Look what my husband got for me. He brought it back from NYC. The tag reads Notocactus prolifera. This is beyond massive. It has over 50 heads and weighs a ton. It measures almost 13 inches across. Check out this bad boy!

{{gwi:490202}}
{{gwi:490203}}

I had to take the picture from about 2' away just to fit it all in. The plant is in a 10" pot and needs to be put into a 12" pot.

Happy me,

Dawn

Comments (8)

• tjsangel
    18 years ago

WOW Props to your husband! That is a beauty. Look at all those spines. Good luck repotting that thing, you'll need it! : ) Congrats!

Jen

• newbhoy
    18 years ago

A true monster of a plant.

Imagine what it will be like when it decides to bloom!!
    You'll have to stand even further away to fit it all in :)

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

Dawn,
    I am so envious! That's a very impressive clump! You'll have an amazing display when it blooms, and the berries afterward will look equally impressive. Kudos to your hubby!
    Amy

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Monster! But what is it? There are two, possibly three, plants that might be called Notocactus prolifera? The name Notocactus prolifera was erected in 1981 for what was Wigginsia prolifera, but is thought to just be a clumping form of Notocactus (or Parodia) langsdorfii. Or there is Notocactus scopa v prolifera and at least one other Parodia species with a porlifera variety.

• cactusjordi
    18 years ago

Dawn and S'nB,

It looks very much like a N. scopa cluster to me.

Jordi

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

Hi Dawn, what a lovely pressie, & what a good husband!
    By the looks of that monster, even in a twelve inch pot you'll have fun getting the potting mix in around the plant.
    I'm agree about the ID, I think Jordi's right.
    I have a couple of small plants that I bought from cactus plant a while back under the name N. scopa v albispina

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

Dunno what happened there in my last post, but here's the complete message.
    Hi Dawn, what a lovely pressie, & what a good husband!
    By the looks of that monster, even in a twelve inch pot you'll have fun getting the potting mix in around the plant.
    I'm agree about the ID, I think Jordi's right.
    I have a couple of small plants that I bought from "CactusLand" a while back under the name N. scopa v albispina which is indeed a much branching form of scopa ssp succinea. Check out the link.
    Link to CactusLand

Cheers, CP

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I agree with ya'll, its a N. scopa v prolifera. Yes, Jerry did very well this year. He also got me a couple peices of swarovski crystal. I have been collecting swarovski for about 20 years now. CP, this is going to be a real job moving it into it's new home. Jerry is still plucking pokies out of his hands....poor guy. He didn't wrap it though, he set it on the table by the sliding glass door. When I woke up Christmas morning I got my coffee and proceeded to the table. When I saw the plant I dropped my coffee and just starred at it. I turned around and was going to jump on him while he was sleeping but he was standing right behind me. (He scared the kajeebies right out of me.) He wanted to see my reaction. What a sweetheart ain't he. Thats my Christmas store...what's yours?

Thanks,
    Dawn

Sponsored