Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strombocactus

Posted by meloman BangkokThailand (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 26, 05 at 9:02

These flowers are having hard time openning because the long spines are blocking the way. Also have another one blooming so I'll make seeds.

May the souls of tsunamic victims go to heaven.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strombocactus

Very nice!

o

Lucky you! Mine are just showing buds :-)

Alex

o

Those are great plants.

o

Those are OLD great plants, Pijaya. Older than the Meloman??

CP

o

Probably older than me. To demonstrate my faith in the future, I have a packet of S. disciformis (var. esperanzae) seeds to sow this spring. I would love to see them through to this size.

o

S&B;
I wish you the best with those seeds!! I tried them a couple of times, some friends tried them too, not good results (0%)regular disciformis germinates like weed, the trick is keeping them alive :-)

Alex

o
RE: Strombocactus seed

That's interesting (worrying?), Alex. Were all the seeds from the same batch? Possibly from the same source even though purchased separately? The only other person I have spoken to about this subspecies (although I suspect there are more out there) got 75% germination with a fairly straightforward pot in a bag technique, with generous limestone in the soil.

o

• Posted by meloman BangkokThailand (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 26, 05 at 23:27

thanks, I think this might be older than me as when it was imported from Japan about 7 years ago it has grown very little. The base tend to become brown and corky

I also had the same experience with Alex that is 0% germination for esperanzae. Maybe the seeds were old or collected from habitat and stored for a long time.

Pijaya

o

Nice!
Dan

o

S&B;
These seeds were from the same supplier, purchased at different times, my guess is that they were old seeds...

Alex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here