Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cc64_gw

Please Help my Coral Cactus

CC64
11 years ago

Hi,

I have a Coral Cactus that my husband gave me a couple of years ago. I keep it at my office and have done very little to take care of it except for watering once a week. I love this little guy, but all of a sudden, the right far side of the cactus is getting very wet and mushy. I trimmed off the wet part last week and when I got back in my office this morning, it is spreading. If there is something I can do to save this little guy, please let me know. Thanks!!

Comments (6)

• GardenHelp
    11 years ago

I am not very familiar with cactus plants but I would trim a corner off of the healthy side and try to start a new plant right now before the entire plant becomes infected. I would probably cut off the whole lobe that is infected plus a little more. Then repot it in a cactus soil(you can get at Walmart). Cut back on watering if the soil is moist.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

I don't know this plant (but know it's something grafted onto something else). I think the top may be a Euphorbia lactea crest; if so be careful in case its sap can be a skin irritant. (Pls. wash carefully & don't touch any parts of your face 'til you've done so).

Mushy in cacti & succulents = rot & spreads quickly.

I'd suggest cutting back to healthy tissue & then sprinkle w/ cinnamon (ordinarily kitchen cinnamon, like used in baking) w/ acts as an anti-fungal & helps avoid rot.

I agree to stop watering it for a while. Good luck!

• juliebees2009
    10 years ago

help me you name it I have done it and its gave me every type of trouble know to a cactus. If ou have a question on what I done ES I have. I don't want to give up on this plant. if someone out there has had serious problems getting one to live please help e. it even was beautiful took it i to school and well you guessed it the science project was for a week and it died right in front of everyone not only embarrassing it caused me to fail the course., now I am ad I will get this to lived some way and I will show my teacher and I will pass.

I need help folks seriously.
    I had one I took out of a rock glued and non drain hole it grower well for a year then this happened.. do they just live for a couple of months? I have for almost a year tried changing everything for I to change I have 12 going in different ways, pots, soil, no soil, you name it I am doing it. They are dyeing. The best one was a almost dead one I took washed roots dipped in grow powder, and just put it old GA clay. You can't wet the white or green if you have that color crest. My teacher has gave me till next term to show her I can get one o grow and I do have to keep a journal. ANY ONE OUT THERE THAT HAS ANY INFORMATION NO MATTER HOW INSUFFICIENT.,.LEAVE IT HEAR FOR ME TO SEE IF I HAVE TRIED I OR NOT. I THANK YOU GREATLY I NEED TO PASS THIS CLASS I HAD A 98% NOW ITS FAILED ME. AS I SID ANY HLP, OR COENTS ARE WLCOM PLEASE NO SARCASTIC NOTES THIS MAY NOT BE SERIOUS TO YOU BUT IT MY GRADE TO GRADUATE NEXT YEAR.
    THANK YOU ALL KINDLY.

PLEASE I WAS APPOINTED THIS PLANT BY THE TEACHER I WISH SHE COULD GAVBVE ME A SIMPLE PLANT.. SHE WOULD NOT CHANGE IT EITHER i BROUGHT IN A BOX OF DEAD PLANTS IN A BOX WRAPPED IN LARGED BAGIES FOR ER TO SEE EVEN AND NADA,

THANK YOU I WILL BE WAITING E ALL WILL BE HAVING A PROJECT IF YOU HELP ME. I ASK HER COULD I COME HEE AND DO THIS AND I HAVE HER PERMISSION DUE O IT'S SUCH A HIGH GRADE POINT.

THANKS TO EVERYONE.

• lstanley13705
    8 years ago

I bought this cactus today, and as I went to uproot it, to replant, this is what came up. I replanted it. will the roots grow again? or is it not able to be saved?

• Matthew Perry
    8 years ago

OK these are grafted cactus I have been reading on Google its the same info as a moon cactus they say they live about seven months once grafted then they need to be regrafted on new root stock not on the same stalk as it came from look up cars of moon cactus these are grafted and cared for the same way yrs on the rotted mushy part I would cut back to good solid growth of the area once done so place alcohol rubbing 70% or higher on the cut part of the cactus let it seat for a few reapply the alcohol on it again just rub it on the cut part of the stem then it should heal u can also use proxid on it to I my self have never used anything but alcohol on cut parts of my succulents hope this helps

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists