Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newbhoy

Volcanic chips?

newbhoy
18 years ago

Hi folks,

I'm curious as to where i might pick up some volcanic/porous rock chippings for display around my cacti. I.ve hunted all over the net with no joy. I recently brought some home from the beaches on tenerife whilst on holiday. I wish now I filled more than just one pocket.(i.m bored with small pebbles)

Can any one help?

Scott.

Comments (7)

• tjsangel
    18 years ago

Hi Scott,

The only place I could find that sells this is Lowe's. They carry bags of Red Lava Rock. This probably isnt chippings though, more likely big pieces of rock. Sorry I couldnt help more! I hope you find it somewhere.

Jen

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

Dear Scott,

I just go out to the desert and find some decomposed granite, but deserts are few in Scotland, are they not? I just knew that all those hours in geography class weren't wasted.

Well, if you want actual volcanic chips, I guess Mount Etna would be closest....

I don't know if you use rocks/pebbles as part of your roofing over there across the Pond (I suspect not), but what about going to a builder's supply and asking? Alternatively, you could go to a cement company. I'd also suggest a dry river bottom, but stones found there usually are rounded, and that's what you want to stay away from.

I know you have a few mountains, so I am not suggesting that you chip away at Ben Lomond, but what about finding some loose granite somewhere and making your own? That's also particularly effective for getting rid of stress, although I highly advise the use of complete eye protection.

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Nope, no Lowes in Scotland :)

Are you looking for the pumice type stones? If I knew a reliable source anywhere in the UK, I'd have bought them out! Or the ones with the larger "holes"? Same problem. If you have pebbles with quite large cavities in, they might actually be from coral rather than lava.

• newbhoy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks guys,
    Jen- SnB's right. no Lowe's over here, if I could get large rocks I would just take a hammer to them and vent my frustration haha:)
    Jeffrey- I think if I go chipping away at Ben Lomond and accidently discover some ancient fossil, my facsination for cacti may become diluted somewhat and we cant have that can we? :)
    SnB- The rocks i got from Tenerife were very honeycombesque if you know what I mean and were ideal once crushed by the hammer. But I did find 1 gallon bags of red lava rock on ebay going for $5, currently awaiting news of shipping costs(which will no doubt be twice the price of the bag it's self) never mind, needs must eh?
    Thanks again
    Scott.

• tequila
    18 years ago

Maybe if you take a trip to "Iceland" there are some active vulcanos there too.
    Cheers
    Alfonso

• milwdave
    18 years ago

What about some nice Chicken Grit? You MUST have chickens over there. Here in Wisconsin I get a beatiful pink granite that the local farm supply sells as chicken grit. IT's gorgeous stuff.

Just a thought
    Dave
    Milwaukee, WI, USA

• newbhoy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Alfonso- mmm... too expensive (i'll stick too paying for postage) and Iceland's even colder than here. How I wish sometimes that I had been born in sunnier/warmer climes.

Dave- yeah i think we do have chickens here, but it's been the turkeys that's bit the grit this week :)
    Thank you both
    Cheers
    Scott.

Sponsored