Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrbrownthumb

Succulent needing ID (Crasssula of some kind?)

mrbrownthumb
18 years ago

I bought a succulent last night that I could not pass up. It looked so sad sitting under a bunch of dead or dying C&S. I'm guessing it is some kind of succulent but I havent' found one that looks like it while googling.

Any help would be appreciated.

MBT

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Photo of my new succulent

Comments (15)

• deefar
    18 years ago

MBT, that plant looks to be a Adromischus triflorus.

Dawn

• mrbrownthumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dawn,

Thanks for the lead I'll go and do some googling.

MBT

• Romani_30
    18 years ago

That was one of the plants I lost in the freeze disaster.I need to find another as a replacement.

• mrbrownthumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Romani,

When the weather warms up (if I haven't killed it) send me an e-mail and I'll give you a cutting. I've been on the receiving end of a lot of plant generosity here. I'll be due to pay it forward pretty soon.

MBT

• Denise
    18 years ago

Looks like Adromischus trigynus to me. (Calico Hearts is it's common name...) A great little plant I've grown for several years.

Denise in Omaha

• Niel42_Scotland
    18 years ago

I think it is a form of Adromischus alstonii

Niel.

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Have fun reading page linked below on Adromischus alstonii!

~Rosemarie

Here is a link that might be useful: Variability

• mrbrownthumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh man, this plant is making my head hurt. Why can't I find more thing in HD that can be narrowed down easier? Thanks for help all.

MBT

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

I love finding things like this, often with a label that says "Lithop"!

Many Adromischus are hybrids anyway, so I wouldn't get too hung up on trying to name it. When it flowers, try again for a name :)

• Niel42_Scotland
    18 years ago

I agree with S&B that the flower will determine the section to which your plant belongs MTB but I am intrigued with your phrase S&B 'Many Adromischus are hybrids anyway'.
    Apart from the few within the A. marianiae complex there are one or two naturally occurring hybrids such as A. filicaulis x alstonii and A.schuldtianus-trigynus.
    Here in the UK we are fortunate enough to be able to acquire plants with documentation,my own collection was started a number of years back with leaves from Chris Rogerson all with collection data and has been added to ever since but only with plants with collection data from reliable sources such as John Pilbeam,Cok Grootsholten etc.
    Niel.

• mrbrownthumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the feeback. I really am not that hung up on the name, I just find it funny that the times I purchase something it is some kind of hybrid. The first time I came across Rosemarie it was on the name that plant forum where a few people were trying to name a hybrid Echeveria. Never got it 100%, but we got close.

Hypothetically, maybe a specific ID helps me because maybe I like to name my plants-maybe. And hypothetically speaking they all get names that are derivative of their IDs. Not that I'm crazy enough to do that-but well...you know, hypothetically.

MBT

• Niel42_Scotland
    18 years ago

I don't think your plant is a hybrid it is more like a plant that used to be called Adromischus pulchellus and is now regarded as being Adromischus alstonii.
    No matter what your plant is its a nice specimen and the leaves are nicely coloured so it is getting good light which most Adromischus require with the exception of a few species which enjoy some shade away from direct sunlight.
    Happy New Year,
    Niel.

• Denise
    18 years ago

Does it look like this?

{{gwi:490649}}

Denise in Omaha

• Niel42_Scotland
    18 years ago

How wide is the pot? Denise.
    It looks about 10CM or 4inches across.
    Is this the plant you have named as Adromischus trigynus?
    Niel

• mrbrownthumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Denise yeah it pretty much looks like yours.

See the link for a pic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Succulent in question