joelfriday

Mammillaria perezdelarosae ssp perezdelarosae

Joelfriday
18 years ago

Just thought I'd share. Had to coax those blooms out.{{gwi:490676}}

Comments (8)

• cactusjordi
    18 years ago

And here is its straight spined and much easier to handle cousin Mammillaria perezdelarosae ssp. andersonii:
    {{gwi:490675}}Â Â

Jordi

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

Wow! mine are quite small yet, and I like the straight-spined form Jordi!

CP

• Joelfriday
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'll say. Those fish hook needles go every direction.

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

Both are nice plants. Alas, mine is fast asleep in the cold basement and isn't the slightest bit interested in producing buds.

I thought this was a solitary species, but I see yours has 2 pups, Joel. Hmm...

Amy

• Joelfriday
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Most of mine have pups. I got them at a local greenhouse here in Tucson. {{gwi:490678}}

• cactusjordi
    18 years ago

Amy,

They usually offset when having reached a diameter of about 1.5".
    A general question: What experience do you have with species like this (some Turbinis or Solisia), which normally flower in wintertime, when they are forced to be dormant during that time in a cold (and dark?) basement? Do they ever catch up on flowering when you allow them to get active again in spring?

Jordi

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Here in England we all live in a cold dark basement in winter. Winter-flowering plants sometimes pop off some flowers early, or they might be coaxed to flower at their normal time with a bit of extra heat or lights. More often the buds wait until spring or sometimes abort first.

Winter-flowering turbs mostly flower early in spring here, usually producing buds in late winter but not really moving them along until they get a bit of sun and water.

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

Jordi,
    Most of my winter blooming cacti will bloom as long as the basement temps stay around 50 degrees. When it gets really cold they stop completely. I have lights on them, so at least they don't suffer through a dark winter. They're lighted quite well actually.

I've only had my perezdelarosae since this spring, so I don't know yet if it will flower when it goes back outside in March. I sure hope it will!

Amy

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living