Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjj1_gw

Basement Light Setup

rjj1
18 years ago

For a number of years I did all of my propagating in the greenhouse over the winter, but each year my greenhouse got smaller. Last year I decided to move the propagation mats and lights down into the basement to free up more bench space.

The mats sit on foam insulation sheets to force the heat up. There is a plastic sheet between mats and plant material to help against any possible water damage. The mats are 8 footers with 2 4Â lights over each.

I like to root many tropicals right into the 3.5"pots that they will grow in for a period of time. 18 pots will fit onto those white trays filled with gravel and water. Cuttings and seed get covered with those translucent storage containers to keep humidity up. Soil temps are set at 80 degrees. This type of setup has been used to root and sprout thousands of plants over the years.

I can also put fresh grafted plants under the containers and not have to use plastic to cover the grafts. Once cuttings and grafts have taken they are moved to another room before being taken to the greenhouse.

{{gwi:2678}}
{{gwi:490682}}
randy

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource