Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jadegarden_gw

ID for plants

jadegarden
18 years ago

Hi,

I'm new to this and hope someone can help me id these plants. I think I have figured out how to link the photos properly.

{{gwi:491480}}
Gymnocalycium??

{{gwi:462900}}
Gymnocalycium??

{{gwi:491481}}
Cereus

{{gwi:491482}}
Rebutia??

Jan

Comments (10)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

I'd like to go with Gymnocalycium anisitsii for the first one. This has become a bit of a catchall species and so you might get some other names which are effectively the same plant.

I always think G. bruchii when I see a clumping Gymno and you'rs might be that but I'm not sure. Many forms have pink flowers and are densely spined but some look like your's.

The last one might be a Sulcorebutia rather than a Rebutia, if that narrows it down any :)

• jadegarden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I haven't seen any G. bruchii looking like this - the spines seem very different. I have another very similar plant but it clumps differently and has never bloomed.

Some books put sulcorebutia with rebutia - Arenacea is the closest I've seen looking like #4 but I'm not sure.

• cactusdan19
    18 years ago

Jan,
    Nice plants. The Cereus looks like it could be Monvillea spegazzinii, often sold as grafted crestate plants. Known for it's mottled bluish skin and the flower looks right too.
    Dan

• steve_nz
    18 years ago

The third one is Monvillea.
    The second one reminds me of G.damsii which is see is now G. anisitsii. Certainly it exhibits the pupping seen in the pic.

• billinsc
    18 years ago

The second one is without question in my mind, G damsii. Here is my G damsii. It has never had the dark color I see in some such as yours. I heard somewhere, but not yet confirmed, that they get very red in low light situations of winter, but mine is about the same as it has always been. Here it is in a 4 1/2 inch pot..
    {{gwi:491483}}
    Bill in SC

• jadegarden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Bill.

This is my other plant that clumps but doesn't bloom and looks like your damsii (but a little darker):
    {{gwi:491484}}

Photo was taken about a year ago but don't have any more current.

This is in a 12" pot like the other, side by side so conditions are identical . One is always dark and the other always lighter - in the sun all year round.

So I can't help thinking that they are different plants - maybe this dark one is a hybrid?

• steve_nz
    18 years ago

I have finally got my G damsii to green up after years of having a red tinged plant. Mine went red after being in plenty of sun. It was only after shading it a bit that it greened up this last year. I have also obtained a variety with dark streaks on the body. Will take pics of it soon and post it.

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

Hi Jan, the last one is Rebutia marsoneri, and I'm with Dan on the Monvillea spegazzinii.

CP

• rjm710
    18 years ago

The first one looks a lot like the two Gymnocalycium damsiis on Miles web site. Check out v. rotundulum and v. tortulosum on the page linked below. Be warned...you may stay a while looking at all of the pictures at that site!

Here is a link that might be useful: Miles2go

• jadegarden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all your help on this.

I have:
    1. Gymnocalycium anisitsii
    2. Gymnocalycium damsii - which is now lumped in as the same as anisitsii? This just makes it more confusing especially since they look and behave differntly as far as I'm concerned.
    3. Monvillea spegazzinii - can anyone explain whether this is actually cereus or not?
    4. Rebutia marsoneri

I started to refuse to buy unnamed plants just because it is so hard to id them, but here everything is just lumped as "cactus" - even if they're not. So I hardly have a choice - just work with what I can get.

Jan

Sponsored