Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery flower stalk

Posted by ariole z7DE (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 30, 05 at 15:17

I've been watching this flower stalk develop for a long time. The part shown is about a foot in length and it stands more than a foot above the body of the plant.

The plant itself was identified for me by some of this forums champion ID members.

I'm eager to see the flowers.

Any thoughts on an ID from this early stage pic?

Al

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery flower stalk

What was the plant ID'd as? Or is that a secret for now? :P I don't recognize the flower buds.

~Rosemarie

o

• Posted by rpw53 z9 LA gulfcoast (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 30, 05 at 22:27

Looks like one of my favorite south american succulents ;)
Peyton

o

Ahhh! Peyton knows.

He who originally did the plant ID for me easily recognized the flower stalk.

Never in my life did I expect this kind of flower stalk to emerge from something I thought was a relative of a pineapple.

No sunshine today to encourage the flowers to develop further. I will post more pics as development progresses.

It will be next year....

Best wishes to all.

Al

o

Okay... I'm going to say...Agave polianthiflora!

~Rosemarie

Here is a link that might be useful: Agave polianthiflora

o

Rosemarie, we sure know how that guy likes his Agaves, don't we. But not an Agave.

This stalk is very thin and the part showing is only about 12" long. Peyton's clue is that it's South American. (Something else I didn't know.) I've had the plant not much more than a year and have absolutely no idea what the actual flowers will look like. It's tough on me not doing a Google search but I want to be surprised.
Al

o

Possibly a Dyckia??

Alex

o
~RE: Mystery flower stalk

Oh oh...thanks for the hint, Alex! I didn't bother to check the SA reference by Peyton on the Agave.

Okay then, Dyckia marnier-lapostollei?
The link below will not blow it for you, Al...if you want to look.

~R, again

Here is a link that might be useful: Dyckia marnier-lapostollei

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here