Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deefar

Some more pics

deefar
18 years ago

I never even took pictures of these plants, what was I thinking....apparently I wasn't.

Gymnocalicium damsii

{{gwi:492426}}

Echinocereus reichenbachii

{{gwi:492428}}

Echinopsis suboenudatum

{{gwi:492430}}

Enjoy

Dawn

Comments (17)

• billinsc
    18 years ago

I really like that Echinocereus reichenbachii Dawn!!
    Bill in SC

• newbhoy
    18 years ago

Dawn,
    I think you could start a large damsii family with that one, pups a plenty. Good healthy looking plants all round
    Has the Damsii flowered yet? Mine were all white!!

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

Hey Dawn, if one of the offsets on that Echinocereus just happens to 'fall off' I can give it a good home!
    Amy

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Newbhoy, it started to flower but I had to bring the plants in for the winter. So it didn't acually flower.

Amy, Those offsets are quite solid. I would have to drop the plant onto concrete for one to fall/break off. What I will do is cut one off and send it to you come spring, how's that? Send me an email in March and I will hook you up, not a problem.

Thanks Bill.

Dawn

• tjsangel
    18 years ago

Hey Dawn,

I was thinking of trying an Echinopsis mostly for the huge amazing flowers. I (think) I have that Gymno, mine is a slow grower, flatter and more purple in color. It gets light pink blooms. But many pics of this one look like mine. Whatever it is I love it-my first : ) Nice cacti you have.

Jen

• Joelfriday
    18 years ago

Wow! Impressive!

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jen, If your gymno get purple in color and the flowers are a pink color than it sounds like you have a G. damsii var. tucavocense or maybe a var. multiproliferum. I would have to say a tucavocense. Google it and see what you come up with and let me know.

Dawn

• tjsangel
    18 years ago

Right on the money Dawn! Definetly var. Tucavocense. The other variety has deeper rose colored flowers and longer spines. The mystery is solved! Thank you! : )

Jen

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Your welcome...for services rendered that will be 5 bucks, LOL. Just kidding. I'm glad your mystery is solved. Enjoy your Gymnocalycium damsii var. tucavocense.

Dawn

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

Thanks Dawn, that's so nice of you! I think you and I are due for a trade this spring anyway. I'll be contacting you.
    Amy

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Trade!?!, Amy you are absolutely correct. A trade we will. Oh but one thing, the E. reichebachii is on me. I will be looking forward to your email.

Dawn

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

I'm not a big fan of the spikey plants but that Echinocereus Reichenbachii made me take a second look. Very nice dawn the white back ground makes it look like it's sitting in snow or something.

MBT

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

MBT, I set the plant down on my bed. I had taken the sheets off so the background is my mattress pad/cover. I only took one picture and it turned out pretty neat looking, so I decided to post it.

Dawn

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

Hi Dawn, that Echinocereus is certainly an attention-grabber... I love the white spines... what an excellent specimen.

CP

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks CP but you know me, I just love the white spines plants especially if it's a Echinocereus. To me they are just so elegant looking. Man, I hope there is never any hope for me...giggle giggle :)

Dawn

• Lynn
    18 years ago

I have what I believe is Echinocereus reichenbachii growing in my cactus bed. It was my very first hardy cactus.
    {{gwi:492432}}

WindsurfGirl

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

Really nice plants, especially the Echinocereus!
    Now I wonder if reichenbachii is named after the discoverer of the Reichenbach Falls as featured in the Sherlock Holmes tale?