Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
For Al, ...those mysterious Asclepiads

Posted by cactuspolecat Tasmania Aust (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 2, 05 at 16:38

Al, these are the two asclepiads hiding in the background of my former Gymno post, and you asked to see a pic.
I think these are now known as Larryleachia, though my tags still reflect the old name of Trichocaulon.
The larger one of the two is one I bought in 1982 as T. dinteri, a name synonymous with T. clavatum. The other plant that looks like a young Hoodia, is T. flavum, I only bought this one a couple of months ago.
So, for your pleasure...

Trichocaulon flavum and T. clavatum..

T. clavatum in flower earlier this year..

T. clavatum in flower in 1982 the year I bought it. Grown in bright sunlight, it soon loses its lush green look!.

Enjoy, CP

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: For Al, ...those mysterious Asclepiads

What a beauty! Almost a quarter century in your possession. I agree, it looks identical to plants bearing the more modern name "Larryleachia". The exposed roots add wonderful character to your prize plant. Of my two seedlings, only the one bloomed this autumn. Thanks for taking the time to dig up the archival photos.

Al

o

I have been wanting to to give one of these a try. Are they difficult at all? What kind would be the best to start out with? Yours are beautiful CP.

Dawn

o

Sutialbly ugly and very cool!

o

Dawn, T. clavatum is surprisingly easy, (and I'm assuming that flavum is also). I just grow it in my regular cactus mix and I keep it dry for the winter. During it's dormant period it shrinks quite a bit, and the pups look like they're going to fall off, but come spring, it's quick to take up moisture fatten up again.
This plant is now producing three new pups. The pups don't readily root down if removed, so they are best left on the parent plant. Flowers come late Autumn to early Winter.

Cheers for now, CP

o

Thanks CP. I am now on the hunt for one....after all, Jerry is still in NYC. How cols hardy are they?

Dawn

o

I can't say anything other than "WOW".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here