Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tequila_gw

Does anybody know this

tequila
18 years ago

I have this one like some kind of cultivar of Mammillaria gracilis.

I try to find some information in Internet but no match.

Does anybody knows it??

{{gwi:493098}}{{gwi:493099}}{{gwi:493100}}

Alfonso

Comments (14)

• meloman
    18 years ago

Don't know if this the same as T. krainzianus f. minimus but it does look like the juvenile stage of that. you can see 5 years old pictured below
    {{gwi:493101}}

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Are these seedlings? How old? Is it safe to assume that they are naturally cylindrical, not etiolated?

Might be something obvious like M. elongata.

• jamesfe
    18 years ago

it looks very simailar to a Escobaria leei that I have.

• alex_AZ
    18 years ago

I would go with James on this one

Alex

• tequila
    Original Author
    18 years ago

These are cuts from a grafted one in Myrtillocactus, I don´t have pictures of the mother plant but they are clumping and cilyndrical and mine are not ethiolated. I have not seen the flowers. He has a tag of some kind of M. gracilis, but it could be something else. Escobaria sneedii ssp leei is a good option. Thanks for the advice.
    Alfonso

• cactusjordi
    18 years ago

Alfonso,

Do you think yours is similar to this one?
    {{gwi:493102}}

Then you almost can read which species it is and I'll tell you later what you have to expect with it.

Jordi

• meloman
    18 years ago

Oops, silly me. I read too fast so didn't see the word "Mammillaria" in yoor original post but just saw the word "gracilis" so I was thinking Turbinicarpus!! lol

Now I'm not so sure what your's are.

Pijaya

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

Hey Alfonso, congrats!!, that is a beautiful little plant it's Pygmaeocereus densiaculeatus, (to the splitters) which is now called Haageocereus lanugispinus as in Jordi's pic. Other pygmaeocereus are still remain with the genus name pygmaeocereus.
    I love these little cereoids, they are such tiny plants, I had a crested form of this at one stage, and would love to get my hands on onther.
    Check out this link, I think it will help.
    Pygmaeocereus

Cheers mate, CP

• cactusjordi
    18 years ago

Hello All,

I recently sent this explanation to a Peruvian aficionado:

.... here are photos of my plant, which according to Fr. Ritter's description and pictures in his 4 volume book 'Kakteen in Südamerika' certainly is Haageocereus lanugispinus..
    For a long time this taxon erroneously had been called Pygmaeocereus densiaculeatus due to Backeberg's generic misplacement in 1966.
    Ritter found that taxon already in 1957 in a tiny area north of Pativilca in the flat coastal zone near or at the boarder line of Depto. Lima and Ancash.
    In his book he finally described it by the name which had been used before as nom. nudum in the nursery of his sister H. Winter.

Hoping that at least somebody might be interested in the history of this species.

Jordi

BTW, CP, grafted crests of it are waiting for you in my GH.

• mubzps
    18 years ago

Is it possible to get seeds of H. lanugispinus anywhere? or non-grafted plants?

Tom

• tequila
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for your ID, and your information. I am going to wait until grows bigger and began to clump.
    Alfonso

• tequila
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Some months later and this is it
    Clumping on it´s base

Saludos
    Alfonso

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:493097}}

• greenlarry
    17 years ago

Bear in mind that 'mammilaria gracilis' is a subspecies of mammilaria vetula

• sjv78736
    17 years ago

positively lascivious, Alfonso. lol - jo

Sponsored