Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anybody know this

Posted by tequila 26N 97.5W Z 9b (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 2, 05 at 19:13

I have this one like some kind of cultivar of Mammillaria gracilis.
I try to find some information in Internet but no match.
Does anybody knows it??
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Alfonso

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anybody know this

Don't know if this the same as T. krainzianus f. minimus but it does look like the juvenile stage of that. you can see 5 years old pictured below
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

o

Are these seedlings? How old? Is it safe to assume that they are naturally cylindrical, not etiolated?

Might be something obvious like M. elongata.

o

it looks very simailar to a Escobaria leei that I have.

o

I would go with James on this one

Alex

o

These are cuts from a grafted one in Myrtillocactus, I dont have pictures of the mother plant but they are clumping and cilyndrical and mine are not ethiolated. I have not seen the flowers. He has a tag of some kind of M. gracilis, but it could be something else. Escobaria sneedii ssp leei is a good option. Thanks for the advice.
Alfonso

o

Alfonso,

Do you think yours is similar to this one?

Then you almost can read which species it is and I'll tell you later what you have to expect with it.

Jordi

o

• Posted by meloman BangkokThailand (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 3, 05 at 16:26

Oops, silly me. I read too fast so didn't see the word "Mammillaria" in yoor original post but just saw the word "gracilis" so I was thinking Turbinicarpus!! lol

Now I'm not so sure what your's are.

Pijaya

o

Hey Alfonso, congrats!!, that is a beautiful little plant it's Pygmaeocereus densiaculeatus, (to the splitters) which is now called Haageocereus lanugispinus as in Jordi's pic. Other pygmaeocereus are still remain with the genus name pygmaeocereus.
I love these little cereoids, they are such tiny plants, I had a crested form of this at one stage, and would love to get my hands on onther.
Check out this link, I think it will help.
Pygmaeocereus

Cheers mate, CP

o

Hello All,

I recently sent this explanation to a Peruvian aficionado:

.... here are photos of my plant, which according to Fr. Ritter's description and pictures in his 4 volume book 'Kakteen in Sdamerika' certainly is Haageocereus lanugispinus..
For a long time this taxon erroneously had been called Pygmaeocereus densiaculeatus due to Backeberg's generic misplacement in 1966.
Ritter found that taxon already in 1957 in a tiny area north of Pativilca in the flat coastal zone near or at the boarder line of Depto. Lima and Ancash.
In his book he finally described it by the name which had been used before as nom. nudum in the nursery of his sister H. Winter.

Hoping that at least somebody might be interested in the history of this species.

Jordi

BTW, CP, grafted crests of it are waiting for you in my GH.

o

Is it possible to get seeds of H. lanugispinus anywhere? or non-grafted plants?

Tom

o

Thank you for your ID, and your information. I am going to wait until grows bigger and began to clump.
Alfonso

o

Some months later and this is it
Clumping on its base

Saludos
Alfonso

Here is a link that might be useful: Haageocereus

o

Bear in mind that 'mammilaria gracilis' is a subspecies of mammilaria vetula

o

positively lascivious, Alfonso. lol - jo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here