I'm not sure what kind of Mammillaria this is

{{gwi:493335}}

Thanks for your help,

Dawn

Comments (12)

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Dawn,
    I just bought one of these the other day (at least I think they look the same) & it was tagged as Mammillaria bombycina. Doesn't mean it's correct, but something to check out. I haven't done that fully yet. A couple I've seen look close.
    Here's mine:

{{gwi:493332}}

~Rosemarie

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

Yep, I think Rosemarie has got it! Mamm bombycina!, I think you might be right about #1 looks like rhodantha, not sure about #2 though, looks more like a haageana ssp conspicua, (or M. vaupelii which is also haageana ssp. conspicua), all my books are packed away until renovations complete so I can't check. S&B may be able to confirm.

Happy new year. CP

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

The first one seems to be a regular M. rhodantha.

The second one might be also, but is probably a M. haageana. Look to see if the tubercles are at all four-sided, particularly where they join at the base, that would be M. haageana. Also look for areoles that have less than four central spines, which I think I see on some of them. Two centrals would mean M. haageana. More than four centrals would mean M. rhodantha.

The last one is M. bombycina.

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The second plant has hooked spines. Not alot though. Here is a pic to show them. Some of the areoles have 2 cenral spines and some have 3 cenrals. The hooked spines have me baffled.

{{gwi:493337}}

Thanks,
    Dawn

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

Maybe M. rekoi then?

CP

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

CP, I took the name Rekoi and did some research. I think it is a M. rekoi ssp. krasuckae. I did find some areoles that have 4 centrals and it does have wooly patches. The old flower buds that were on the plant appeared to be pinkish, but it was hard to tell because they were so dried and shiveled. Hopefully it will flower again soon so I can give this plant a name. Thanks.

Happy New Year!!!
    Dawn

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My first pic of the Rhodantha, could it be a ssp. fera-rubra?

Dawn

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

I don't think so, just looks like the straight species to me.

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for everyones help.

Dawn

• robcacti
    18 years ago

Hi everybody!

The first plant is Mammillaria rhodantha ssp pringlei (a reddish spined form). The third one is Mammillaria bombycina.

cheers

Robi

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

ok dawn, you know i am not a cactus collector, but about #3 - and now i will show my ignorance - those short white spines are just too cool and with the long fishhooks, well, they look a bit like a fireworks display to me. very striking plant and great pic too! tfs - jo

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jo, If you would like to have the plant I can send it to you when I send you my box of goodies, just lmk.

Dawn

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro