Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desert_gardener

Aloe suprafoliata

desert_gardener
18 years ago

This is a first for me...This Aloe suprafoliata is about 3 years old, it is an off set of one that died. This is the first time it has bloomed. Enjoy!

Check out the purple in this photo

{{gwi:493403}}

Here is the bloom

{{gwi:493404}}

Comments (9)

• deefar
    18 years ago

I love the aloe. Nice plants.

Dawn

• cactusjordi
    18 years ago

GH,

All your Aloes look really healthy. And the A. suprafoliata is a very special one with its distichious leaves. A pity that all its new leaves after the first flower change to the common rosulate pattern. But luckily at least the color of its leaves persists if kept in full sun.

Jordi

• borrego
    18 years ago

I am envious. While outside looking at aloe blooms, I noticed one of my plants had been ejected from its stand. It was my juvenile suprafoliata and one of it's leaves has been snapped in half by those rampaging squirrels. Argh!!!
    I won't even mention what thet did to my aloe glauca for the second time.........At least I know what to look for in a year or two when the suprafoliata is large enough to flower.

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

In a word - gorgeous. I simply have to get one of these!
    Amy

• desert_gardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jordi, I knew they eventually spiral, but I did not know that they started only after blooming. Thanks for the information.

Borrego, I have an raised Aloe bed that is under a big oak tree, I use to have the same problem when the acorns start to drop the squirrel would dig around my Aloes to get to them. I have dogs, but they do not deter the squirrel from his mission of getting the acorns. I circled the entire bed with mouse traps, he has set the traps off, but never been harmed. Now with the traps, the squirrel has changed his course and gets his acorns from a different location in the yard.

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Somehow I missed this and your other posts! The forum has been moving posts speedily these days.

OooEee, this one is Gorgeous, Dez!! Love the color and the form!

~Rosemarie

• desert_gardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments Rosemarie. Although I lurk here a lot, I have been laxed about posting responses and pictures. With the nice weather we have been having, and things slowing down now that the holidays are over, we have been spending more time outdoors. Glad you enjoyed the Aloe.

• desert_gardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments Rosemarie. Although I lurk here a lot, I have been laxed about posting responses and pictures. With the nice weather we have been having, and things slowing down now that the holidays are over, we have been spending more time outdoors. Glad you enjoyed the Aloe.

• Denise
    18 years ago

Jordi,

Do you happen to know if you can stop the leaves from becoming rosulate by cutting the flower stalk off when it appears? Probably no such luck, but I thought it worth asking...

Denise in Omaha

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets