Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gizynski

Unknown Euphorbia

Gizynski
18 years ago

I recently brought home this very nice Euphorbia with a unknown succulent growing besides it from a Home Depot in Chicago .What is this plant and Euphorbia?

{{gwi:493409}}

close up of Euphorbia

{{gwi:493410}}

Comments (12)

• deefar
    18 years ago

The leafy plants look like Dorstenia foetida or D.crispa.

Dawn

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

Gizynski,

Which HD are you shoping at? The ones I've been too don't seem to have plants that big. They're all pretty small and fit in a little display box.

MBT

• Gizynski
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I dont go to Chicago much,but when i do i go to the one at Kimball & Addison 3500 N Kimball . It has a great new display with lots of nice ones.

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

Gizynski,

Thanks for the tip I'll have to check them out soon.

MBT

• Gizynski
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No problem. I hope you get alot of nice ones. :)

• Gizynski
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Can any one tell me what the Euphorbia is ?

• www_euphorbia_de
    18 years ago

Gizynski,
    as the photo is blurred and doesn't show important details it's difficult to ID your plant.
    Well, there are three similar (at least when young) looking species.

1. Euphorbia fruticosa
    Small shrubs up to 20 - 50 cm, mainly branching from the base and building clusters, shoots with about 12 (frequently less) angles, thorn shields united or almost so, thorns 1 Â 2 cm, roots fibrous, cyathia yellow, common in cultivation.
    2. Euphorbia seibanica
    Dwarf shrub, densely branching and building cushions of 5 cm height and 15 cm diameter, shoots with 5 to 8 angles, angles slightly toothed, thorn shield separate, thorns usually minute, root tuberous, cyathia greenish brown, rare but on the other hand frequently mistaken for a form of E. fruticosa.
    3. Euphorbia mitriformis
    Dwarf shrub, densely branching and building conical cushions of 40 cm height and 1 m diameter, single shoots up to 10 cm, usually 5 angled, angles slightly toothed, thorn shields separate but the angles between hardening and this way building entire margins, thorns 2 to 25 mm, roots fibrous, cyathia red, rare in cultivation.

If still uncertain you better grow it a while and let it bloom.

Frank
    www.euphorbia.de

• Gizynski
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for your reply Frank.
    Today upon further inspection I found a small broken tag that has it named as Euphorbia Piscidermis.
    Also it seems this Euphorbia is form a Place called Bob Smoley's Garden World.

• www_euphorbia_de
    18 years ago

Gizynski,
    E. piscidermis is a totally different plant anyway.

Bob Smoley is listing E. fruticosa (code 40046)...

Frank
    www.euphorbia.de

• Gizynski
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Interesting thing i noticed is that this plant might have been used as a grafting stock because of the way is was been cut on the top.

Also is it true that i should give it no water in the winter?

• www_euphorbia_de
    18 years ago

There are several reasons for a missing top.
    Indeed E. fruticosa is used as grafting stock sometimes.
    Or maybe
    - the top was injured in an accident and then straight cut to ease healing.
    - the top was removed as it looked ugly due to a former pest or disease.
    - the plant was decapitated to encourage branching.

Euphorbia collectors from the southern United States (Florida, areas close to the Mexican border) report that many plants that need to be kept strictly to a winter's rest further north due to the lack of light, continue to grow slowly in winter in their climate and need light watering. As you are living in Illinois you better keep your plant totally dry in winter.

Frank
    www.euphorbia.de

• Gizynski
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank You for the reply Frank.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions