Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doona_gw

sick agaves

Doona
18 years ago

Can anyone identify the problem my agaves of all varieties are having? Everyone in my area has the same problem.

Image link:

Comments (6)

• Joelfriday
    18 years ago

How do the roots look? That agave looks pale & colorless.

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

I have no clue what's wrong with your Agave, but just wanted to say I like the look of it from this distance! The pic in your other post is a "Yikes!" one though. I can't imagine what caused that! Sorry I'm no help! Hope someone here recognizes it, so you can do somthing about it.

~Rosemarie

• Doona
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Joel, up until Friday there was absulutely nothing (apparently) wrong with any of my agaves. I have many of all varieties and every single one is now afflicted with this problem, as are others in our village. Wherever they are, they have this same problem and it has happened over three days. Mine were very healthy and looked that way until Friday. They were all nice and dark green and thriving in different soils. This one pictured is in very rocky un-conditioned soil. Others are in beautiful organic soil, and some in a sandy mix. I just put them anywhere and they thrive. Other people have them in pots and still have the problem. It's just happened suddenly all at the same time and no one knows why.

• paracelsus
    18 years ago

It is called Agave edema. It sometimes happens in times of cool wet weather and low light. The link below to San Marcos growers provides an excellent explantation of the phenomenom:

Here is a link that might be useful: Agave edema

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

All your agaves are affected by this? what a shame that is! sorry to hear that Donna. Para is probably right... I don't know about you but down here in Tas we've seen only a handful of sunny days since the beginning of spring, it's been mostly rain, We had electrical storms here again last night, and it's quite humid at the moment, and we've had a number of cold "snaps" in the last month.
    I have only 7 or 8 small agaves and I grow them in pots in my glasshouse, so far no problems like this.

CP

• Doona
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I don't know about cool snaps. Its been very hot for a couple of weeks, so thats not it. But thank you , I will check out the link. Yes, almost every single one of mine and our neighbours' are effected, as are everyone else's in our area. Its very unusual. I have never seen it in all the years we have had them.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!