Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cacti ID please

Posted by Borrego Z 10 L.A. Cal. (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 15, 05 at 22:44

I have had this one for two years. No idea what it is. I think it is getting ready to flower. Any information on it would be greatly appreciated.

Image link: Cacti ID please (39 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cacti ID please

It's a Ferocactus, maybe latispinus with those thick broad spines, although some other Feros also have heavy spination.

o

Hello Borrego, I believe it's a Fero latispinus also, it looks quite small to be flowering. Very nice little plant.

CP

o

F. latispinus flowers when still small. Was it Peyton just posted one covered in flowers? I've read that F. latispinus flowers youngest out of all the Feros.

o

This must be the season for latispinus buds/flowers - but no flowers yet in slower lower Delaware. Only little bity buds on mine that will be months before blooming, provided they don't abort.

That's a nice plant. Please post the flower.

Al

o

Also F. hamatacanthus flowers when very young, probably younger than latispinus.

Alessandro

o

Alfonso,

You are right. Maybe that is one of the reasons it had been called Hamatocactus hamatocanthus for decades until recently.
I never will accept that species in genus Ferocactus. I hope that doesn't restart WS' and S'nB's comments.

Jordi

o

• Posted by tequila 26N 97.5W Z 9b (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 16, 05 at 12:08

Hi Jordi, both Alfonso and Alessandro begin with "A", but Mexico and Italy are very far away.
Saludos
Alfonso

o

Lump or split, Jordi, I don't mind. I just try to keep up with all the names (all the one's from this century anyway!) so that I can communicate clearly. Don't worry about WS, we argue even when we agree, you'll get used to it :)

So what do you like to call the other famous Hamatocactus, H. setispinus? Not Thelocactus surely, and obviously not Ferocactus?

o

My Fero. latispinus is only a couple of years or so old at only 30mm so in diameter, maybe it'll flower then in a year or so, I've never had a fero flower yet, my larger two plants, (F. platycanthus and F. robustus) are probably a bit young yet.

CP

o

• Posted by Baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 17, 05 at 5:36

Any chance this is a native? There are a couple that look quite similar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here