Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesdvs9

Seeds waiting

lesdvs9
16 years ago

I have some Rose seeds now as well as Brenda's Hollyhock seeds to start in a couple of weeks.

I also have 12 new roses sitting there waiting to be planted as soon as I'm sure we're not going to get blasted like we did last year. I figured if we got July's 100's in Aug, then we might get those 20's in Feb that we had in Jan last year. I really hope not, but I'm on a wait and see. I know last Feb everything started budding and leafing out by mid month here it started warming up so fast.

What are you guys working on while you're waiting for spring to be sprung? I hope you're feeling better by now.

Sun's out today and it's going to be a nice day, it's hitting high 50's right now.

Comments (9)

• youreit
    16 years ago

As much as I love foggy, rainy weather, I'm rather missing the sun right about now. We've had a lot of fog and clouds since the storms hit. The wind is supposed to kick up later today through Thurs. or so, though, so I'm sure I'll be missing this weather soon. LOL

I've started some seeds outside directly in pots - 'Ballerina' poppies, parsley, Centaurea, Malcolmia are all coming up. I'm also experimenting outdoors with a few Salvia seeds obtained in a trade - verticillata and 'Coral Nymph' coccinea. The rest of the vert. & cocc. Salvia seeds I'll start indoors soon, as well as S. nubicola & subrotunda, and tarragon, thyme, savory, catmint, & basil. Whew! Can one have TOO many seeds? LOL

I'm feeling MUCH better, Leslie, and I sure hope you are, too!

Brenda

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

You all make me tired! I've been so sick since Xmas that I haven't been able to do anything. But, I'm well... again... and intend to stay that way.

In a walk-about the yard I discovered a single Pineapple Sage blooming away..... in a most sheltered spot, and the purple-blooming Bougie also blooming against it's heat-mass barn.

Last year was weird wasn't it? Leslie, I remember how it was so cold and then all of a sudden got warm and everything went POP! and I almost didn't get the Salvias pruned fast enough. I'm seriously thinking of hiring Carlos and his gang to do the pruning --- if they'll agree to listen to MY (read woman's) instructions on proper pruning of Salvias.

Oh rats! I need to get the fruit tree spraying done, don't I? I wonder if Carlos does that?! I could get use to having someone else do the hard labor. :^)

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's still really foggy here right now too, I'm on the outskirts of town.

Glad you two are feeling better, me also until I go see the dr at the end of the month and he changes things on me again.

I figured you had seeds started or ready to start Brenda, will you pot them then or plant them when they're of a certain size? That's quite a collection.

Right now I've got a great weed selection growing where the poppies should be coming up again. I thought it was going to be nice today, guess I'll wait for another sunny day to pull them. I don't feel like being cold:)

I remember how nice Feb was and in Mar I started transplanting it was so warm. I keep waiting for the other shoe to fall, it's just too warm for Jan. Knock on wood though, don't want what we had last year, we could use more rain and more snow pack here in our local mtns.

After the lawn guys chopped down my evergreen daylilies, we let them go. We'll find someone else who understands, stay out of the flower beds.

That's really nice to discover a couple odd blooms, like a gift hidden for you, Westelle:) Sounds good to me to see if Carlos would the fruit trees. Not sure about the Salvias though.

I still have grass to get out of the extended large rose garden area, I've been waiting on DH, he said a month ago he'd take care of it. Guess I need to. I want to be able to mulch and build that area up and plant it in March.

• youreit
    16 years ago

Wow, glad to hear you're on the mend, Westelle! It's never fun being sick, but around the holidays, it just seems 10x worse. :(

That's so cool finding the pineapple sage and Bougie blooming! My elegans stopped blooming a while back, and I miss it. I'm still amazed at my blooming Geum. She just keeps going and going, unfazed by the rain, fog, wind...but I'm really looking forward to the flowering quince blooms. Mom dug up the plant for me in late summer, and I'm excited to see it bloom in my yard for the first time. :)

I can't wait to cut back my lemon verbena! The big wind storm stripped all the leaves except those on the tips of each branch, and she looks very ridiculous right now. LOL

I wish I could trust someone to help me in the yard, but I'm such a spazz. Usually plants get stomped to smithereens or somesuch, and I have to tell the guys where to walk...as if the trails through the plants don't give enough direction. LOL Ah, well, a little work never hurt me. :D

Brenda

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

This Fall when I had Carlos' gang here I told them to "walk with small feet"; somehow that translated to something funny in Mexican .... but I didn't have anything trampled.

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brenda, I have hollyhocks sprouting now from your seeds, no roses though:)

• youreit
    16 years ago

Woohoo!! That doesn't surprise me, Leslie, since mine and my mom's plants from last year are putting out a lot of new growth right now. :) I hope they do really well for you!

The weather is so incredible, I couldn't help but do a bunch of pruning yesterday. I still have a lot more to do, but I have to let my back rest in between big jobs. :D

I got a couple more ferns from Lowe's the other day, and sure enough, they're not in my zone. *sigh* I will love them until they die, though. LOL I did get a Platycladus orientalis 'Aurea Nana' (dwarf golden arborvitae) that I'm pretty excited about, though, and it's in my zone! I'm fairly certain my most recent false cypress (this time 'Snow', in a large pot - again, not in my zone...) has died, so I needed something to cheer me up. :D

Enjoy the weather!!

Brenda

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I got out weeding yesterday and pruned a couple of roses. Killed my back too, and my muscles are screaming from it in my legs. I need on roll on cart:)

I have Boston Fern I leave out year round, it always comes back in the spring. I didn't cover the Australian Ferns or leather leaf ferns this year. Have a lot of dead to prune off on those.

The bug is biting huh to plant:) It is pretty nice out.

I need to do my taxes but I can't help wanting to be outside more.

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

DGS and I started the peas and the Nasties last weekend. I wasn't paying attention to them until it was time for them to go home and I went to get them one of the flats. YIKS! We had peas already up. Today I took them out to the barn to harden-off; I think I'll need to plant them out soon since they're already 8" tall. One flat of the Nasties had to be planted out, but the other hadn't even sprouted.... I planted them anyway.

I found that the onion/garlic/shallot sets I put out last fall are growing and were full of weeds. So, of course, I had dirty fingers again.