Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calpat_gw

I think I can open a HOSE shop!

calpat
17 years ago

After my favorite person, Walt,my yard man got the front yard water system installed I started hauling out miles of hose from in front. Regular hose, soaker hoses, etc. Guess I'd better start by getting them cleaned up, not sure how to go about this. Maybe take a stiff rush to clean off soil, run water thru to make sure all openings are open. Anything else I need to do? Got a whole bunch of pots re-painted and sealed, now to find something pretty to put in them, not at this moment, weather is still a bit freaky!

I don't really know how come I got this sudden burst of energy, but I don't question it anymore, just use it and hopefully get all my gardening chores done in time for some spring planting. Our temps have been in the mid 60's & today we actually got to 70. How's your day going? Pat

Comments (8)

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Only thing constructive I got done was take the dog for a mile walk:) Wish I had found your energy, today's headache was a bad one. I have two roses soaking to plant. In order to plant them I need to transplant a couple of others in the front flower bed and didn't feel like playing in the mud and it was only about 52 here today. Between the bad headache and the cold I talked myself out of it. Just kind of vegged today and thought it over, where I want to plant the roses that is. Read more threads and posts some more discussion on making a lasagna bed in the back yard in a couple of weeks. Probably what made my headache worse:)

What are you going to do with your miles of hoses, out of curiosity after you clean them up? Next garage sale or a neighbors yard sale? Sounds like you did get alot done today, and yes, you make the days count, never know about tomorrow. What color did you repaint your pots?
    Leslie

• calpat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Leslie, hope your headache is gone by now, but you did get out and get some walking done, that's a plus. My DD & SIL can probably use the hoses around their rentals, sure I'll find some use for them or will run into someone who needs an extra. I have a Rain-Drip system that I installed about 4 years ago in the back, but I did it rather hurriedly and it needs to get sorted out too. I just put some very bright orange acrylic around the rims, then sealed the whole pot with a clear spray on stuff. Hoping to make a tipsy-pot thingy from some of them.Still a bit chilly for me outside & in garage, so painting on DR table and need to get the mess cleared away so that I can start sorting for tax time. Since I found this forum, I have been so UP and excited about getting back to doing something constructive for a change. And that's a good thing! Please stay in touch! Pat

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

I foolishly got rid of all my leaky (read -- husband with shotgun) hoses. Now I need all of them to run a feeder down our really long driveway to water the Oleanders there who aren't getting enough winter rain to survive. It makes me mad to have to buy a bunch when I threw away so many last year.

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Pat, I always have a headache 24/7 and have for 26 years, some days are worse than others. But, thanks for hoping it was better, today's is slightly better than yesterday which makes it bearable.

Your tipsy thing is that going to be a waterfall or just connecting the pots for a mass of plants together? I had all the grandkids painting pots last spring for me so I could plant roses in them. The roses all died, I can't keep a potted rose alive. So, in their second life I put flowers in them and they did fine. The kids were thrilled that I would do this. I used to have them do it for a craft and take it home and their mom would just set it out on a fence and ignore it.

I need to get going on tax sorting and keep finding excuses not to do that. That's a guaranteed migraine in itself, I hate the end of Jan.!

It almost never fails when you get rid of something you'll need it too. I'm a pack rat on things, I left all my soaker hoses behind when we moved down from the mountains and I was sorry, I could have used them last year until we finally were able to put sprinklers in ourselves. Couldn't afford to pay someone to do it. Luckily my husband is also a pack rat. Now we need to buy a shed to put on the side of the house because the garage is too full for a second car when we can afford to buy one with all the stuff we accumulate.

I'm sure hoping Westelle that we get some more rain down our way before winter and spring is over. Otherwise it'll be another long, hot summer. Alot of the rain up north and down south has a hard time reaching this far. Sometimes what even hits Fresno doesn't get to Visalia.

How's your energy level today Pat? What's on the list for today? It's 55 and though the sky is grey and it's supposed to have showers off and on, the sun is breaking through right now.
    Leslie

• calpat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Westelle, I was going to suggest that you pop up here, Redding, and take what you need, but then i read your in Fresno! At the price of gasoline to get here , you could buy out Home depot's stock, so I don't think my idea is a valid one. Sorry! This is why I need at least 3 storage sheds, 1>for currently used stuff"2.)stuff that I rarely use"3. stuff that I know I'll need someday>LOL oh what problems we gardeners haveLOL!
    UNLESS of course we might know someone that is coming this way and could pick them up for you, hmm!

• youreit
    17 years ago

If Westelle doesn't want them, Pat, I'll talk to my mom about maybe getting some. I see her watering by hand over an acre of plants spread out all over the place, and I wonder how she does it....and I'm glad I don't have to do it. LOL

January is now officially the driest on record here in the Sac area, beating out the old record from 1889. Between the gophers and the freezing temps, it's going down as one of the most irritating Januarys on record for me. :D

Brenda

• calpat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Brenda, if your Mom can use the hoses, please do have her get in touch with me. Pat

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

Our oldest daughter moved to Hood River, OR in Dec. We stayed overnight in Redding on our way up there.... nice city. But, I don't think we'll be doing that drive anytime again soon. Thanks for the offer tho'.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts