Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calpat_gw

Garden Quotes For Fun!

calpat
17 years ago

The other day we were joking about some garden signs we have or would like to have e.i. "Don't Piss Off the Garden Fairies", "Walk Softly, Fairies At Work", etc. I googled and came up with this site, it's fun to peruse and you may get some ideas! Enjoy! Oh yeh, add your favorites to the list. One of mine is "When Life Hands You Lemons, Ask For The Tequila and Salt". This is also a great way to perk up some garden spots, keep you craftie people busy during the non-gardening months.

http://www.quotegarden.com/gardens.html

Comments (13)

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

I LOVE the first one.... something I feel I've occasionally done. ;^)

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Good idea Pat! I like the one by annonymous:
    "you can bury your troubles by working in the dirt"
    and "a garden is like an autobigraphy"

I'm off to Michaels today to get the stuff I need to make the fairy sign too:) I can paint flowers and roses pretty decently, but I can't letter worth a hoot! A friend I made last fall over in the daylilly forum made me a beautiful sign that says "Leslie's Mini Garden" in lavender, purple and green and sent it to me. So I want this sign to put in the larger garden I'm creating this spring to warn people to walk softly. It'll go nicely with the 3 piece stone dragon I want that arises out of the dirt that I've been saving my money for:)

• calpat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I got a couple of plaster of paris signs at the Dollar store sometime ago that I thought described me so well!
    "Sing as though no one will hear you" and "Dance as though no one will see you". P.S. Michales have a great selection of stencils for lettering in just about any style you want. One lady used the computer to make her stencils, I tried it & it involved a lot of cutting out, transferring, etc. Much easier and faster to get ready made stencils.
    If you can't play in the dirt right now, enhance it!

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Yes, I've seen those signs as well and thought that a good one. The quote you said described you. I'm waiting to see what Brenda likes too besides the fairy:)

That's how I feel too, if you can't play in the dirt, create something to go out in it. I've spent winter directing my grandgirl's creativity, she's needed an outlet. I'd like to do some of the mosaic stepstones for myself, she wants to do one too now:) I thought of the stencils too, some things are just easier to buy...

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

I guess my favorite quote of this nature is from Calvin & Hobbs. Calvin says to Hobbs: "I say, if your knee's aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life."

If mine aren't green or brown it means I haven't been in the garden today.

• youreit
    17 years ago

GREAT Calvin & Hobbs one, Westelle! I loved that comic strip.

One of my faves from the website link Pat posted is, "When one of my plants dies, I die a little inside, too." ~Linda Solegato...because I do!

And this one, "When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant." ~Author Unknown LOL...so TRUE!

Another one of my favorites! "You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think."
    - Dorothy Parker

Here's some I found on another site...LOVE these!

The real meaning of plant catalog terminology:

"A favorite of birds" means to avoid planting near cars, sidewalks, or clotheslines.

"Grows more beautiful each year" means "Looks like roadkill for the foreseeable future."

"Zone 5 with protection" is a variation on the phrase "Russian roulette."

"May require support" means your daughter's engineering degree will finally pay off.

"Moisture-loving" plants are ideal for landscaping all your bogs and swamps.

"Carefree" refers more to the plant's attitude than to your workload.

"Vigorous" is code for "has a Napoleonic compulsion to take over the world."

"Grandma's Favorite" -- until she discovered free-flowering, disease-resistant hybrids.

Brenda

• calpat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You guys make me laugh and that's a good thing for early morning starts.

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

I am promptly borrowing the Calvin and Hobbs one for my siggy! LOVE IT! Thanks!

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Hey Pat! I'm what you'd call stencil challenged. I had a stencil made up to say" Don't Piss Off The Fairies". I'm going to make myself and my cousin a sign from it. If you'd really like to make that sign also, catch my email off my profile and give me your address and I'll mail it to you or anyone else who'd like to use it.
    Leslie

• Mikey
    17 years ago

"one part soil,
    two parts water,
    and three parts prayer"

"Give a weed an inch and it will take a yard."

"Loam wasn't built in a day"

"The Garden of Weedin"

"Lived a life of stress and worry
    Rushing through it in a hurry
    Didn't stop to smell the roses
    Now he feeds them as he decomposes."

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

This isn't gardenish, but I thought my GD sent me a good one:

Life is short, Break the rules,
    Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly,
    Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably,
    And never regret anything that made you smile.

• calpat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Weatherman said it was 85F today, didn't feel that warm, but I sure got a lot done outside. Finally got busy re-structuring my big circle in back yard. Got a lot of weeds out and put down Preen, first season I've used it. Kinda pricey,but the area I treated about 2 weeks ago seems to be weed free (for now). I've got the boards ready for new garden signs, just have to get them lettered & painted. But will wait for a cruddy day to do this! How was your day!

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Hot here too, gave myself a migraine out in the sun too long. I forgot it'd do that:( I've been hauling walk on bark out of the new garden area and digging holes for the new mini roses. Then getting them planted and weeding. Then I've got more roses to transplant and more bark to move. When I've got that done I'm going to get more plants to companion plant the whole garden area. This will keep me busy all spring. How'd it get this hot this fast????

I have that stencil to send to you also, I'll get it in the mail to you. I'll try for Mon or Tues.