Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calpat_gw

New/Temporary Water Garden

calpat
16 years ago

With nearly every day in January raining, the water table is up and no place to go. All the green sprites you see are volunteer marigolds. I've dug out trillions of them already, but they just keep coming up and I'll be glad later on. Soil is wet and soft enough for good weeding, but they are growing faster than I can pull them.

{{gwi:494744}}

Just hoping that all that water isn't rotting out my Dahlia tubers. Mums all have new growth under the black frost damaged stems. LemonThyme is getting huge and there will be lots of new plugs for transplanting. Daffodils are up about 5 inches and Ranaculus are too! It just might be a good spring approaching in a couple of months. Camellias are budding up, looks like a nice crop emerging. Now to get back to pruning the roses!

Comments (3)

• youreit
    16 years ago

Holy cow, that's a lot of water, Pat! I sure hope none of your loverlies drowns in there!

I couldn't stand it anymore, and I finally cut off the old mum stems so I could see the new greenery. Hope my impatience doesn't turn around to bite me in the bum. :D I was also planning on repotting them into newer and ever-expanding pots (since gophers prevent me putting them in the ground), but I'm just going to divide them and give half of each to Mom. At least she can enjoy them in the ground up there in Redding.

My 'Ave Maria' Camellia has been blooming for at least a month now, but with all of the rain and generally gloomy, moist weather, many of the pretty, light pink blooms have some tan-colored bits on them. I think I would, too, if I had to be out in this 24/7. LOL

The electricity went out on us again twice over night. Luckily, it's back on now. I was starting to panic, since I have one solitary Salvia subrotunda seedling on the heat mat under grow lights in the garage. I didn't want to lose her! :)

Looks like we have a break in the weather this week! Come on, Spring!

Brenda

• calpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL Brenda I keep smacking my hands to leave the pruners alone. All those black stems look so nasty & I see pretty green growth under it all....B U T....I'm trying to ignore it. DD had a two day blackout at their house. Everything in my part of town is o.k. except we're WET!

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

Wow Pat! You'll need waders soon to get in there. I had no idea or wasn't paying enough attention that you got all that rain that doesnt come down as far as me. Westelle gets more than I do at times even.

We have drains on one side of the house out to the street. The middle back yard now needs them to drain out the other side and then I need a drain taking the water from the front flower bed on out to the street. DH went out and dug temp holes under the cement borders for now. I wish we'd thought of the drains before we did the borders on that side. There's that hindsight thing again.

I'm sure most of it will be ok but if your dahlias are under those low spots I hope they'll be fine too. You're really pruning roses at this time of year? I'm waiting until the nights quit being in the lower 30's. I'll be doing mine in another couple of weeks. I'm watching the weather to make sure. All the new roses sitting in the garage are trying to leaf out a little especially on some of the nicer days we've had. It's still running around 50 something here with an occasional foray up.

I've got lots of tall green in my gardens, weeds:) I got a lot of them a couple of weeks ago on a nice day, they're all back with a vengence.

Try to keep dry, what a mess for you.

Brenda my mums are ground level and coming up green. So far so good, the yard guy cut them all down the first of Dec. Ticked me off, he did all the evergreen daylilies at the same time. I don't have any camelias left but the azaleas are blooming on one bush. I tried to kill the sedum but it's coming up also. I put half the seeds you gave me in a little greenhouse starter. Nothing so far.