Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calpat_gw

IRS out of way- Now I Can Garden!

calpat
17 years ago

My most unfavorite thing is to go in and file taxes, but I do and it's a done thing! Thank Goodness! Came home, it's a gorgegous day and started on the circle garden in back. Got it weeded, cleaned out, lots of worms enjoying themselves. Got the Preem out and sprinkled, & wet it down as instructed, ready for planting in a few weeks. Tomarrow, well, that's another day and will see what happens. Today was a success! Hope your's was too!

Comments (5)

• youreit
    17 years ago

The weather has been beautiful, too! I don't mind taking care of taxes when it's raining, but it seems sacrilegious to worry about them when the sun is shining in such a blue sky. LOL

I planted more of those hollyhocks (and sweet peas) that I started from seed. Really cleaned up the freeze-damaged plants - especially the Lantana and chocolate mint Pelargonium (both of which had old, spreading branches all the way to Mexico...), which survived and has new growth at the base! Yay! It needed a growth check, anyway. :)

Still have some pond plants to really whack back, mainly the poor umbrella palm. It really took a hit during the freezing temps.

Everything else seems fairly happy, considering, and I can almost hear it all growing. Life is good.

Brenda

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Oh groaning here on the tax thing. I had a nice excuse, the computer crashed and I had to wait until my son recovered my hard drive. Now he has and I have to get going.... Don't want to.

My 5 year old grandgirl is here today. We want to go plant something. My Mom gave me back a big clay strawberry pot I gifted my Grandma with 30 years ago. It's sitting out back rather forlornly, so today is supposed to hit 60 and a nice day to do something. I'm going to let Courtney pick out the flowers she would like and we're going to plant that monster. What memories I have of that and Grandma growing strawberries in it in Long Beach.

Oh, my Australian Tree ferns are recovering nicely, what a relief, one was covered timely, the other not and really toasted. I have a nice green frond unfurling up the center of all that "toast":)
    Leslie

• youreit
    17 years ago

I'm hoping my Aussie tree fern recovers, too, Leslie! I had to cut all the fronds off the other day, but there was a lonely curled frond in the process of opening when the freeze hit. I've been checking it every day, hoping for a sign of movement. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Can't wait to hear what grandgirl chose to plant in the strawberry pot! It sounds like a beautiful container.

Brenda

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Brenda, crossing my fingers for you too. I've been giving my extra water every few days too. Well, the rain took care of that also. The outside around the new frond looks nasty but I figure it's protecting the new one coming up.

Courtney picked the flowers herself and with an explanation from me planted them all by herself too. She helped me plant 150 bulbs last fall. She watches pretty closely and loves being out in the garden and learns fast:)
    Here she is with her masterpiece and now her responsbilbity to water.
    {{gwi:494871}}
    Leslie

• youreit
    17 years ago

Very pretty! Courtney did a great job! What a cutie. :)

Wow, that pot is fabulous. I never used to care for container gardening, but due to the gopher problem, I've learned to really appreciate it. So many choices for both plants and containers, too. And some plants just seem to thrive in such situations.

Way to go, Courtney!

Brenda