Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cagardenerwestelle

Message from Barbara Boxer

CA Kate z9
15 years ago

Dear Friend:

This week President Obama signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (H.R.1), which will save or create millions of American jobs -- including some 400,000 jobs here in California.

In the face of the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, this historic legislation offers help and hope. It will put Californians to work building the highways, bridges, transit and rail systems, and renewable energy sources of the 21st century.

The economic recovery package includes major investments in programs that will create jobs right now while laying the foundation for sustained economic growth in the future. Here are just a few examples of what California will receive under these programs:

Infrastructure

$2.6 billion in highway funding that could also be used rail and port infrastructure.

$1.1 billion for investments in mass transit.

$444.8 million to address the backlog of drinking water and clean water infrastructure needs.

Education

$4.6 billion to local school districts and public colleges and universities.

$82.7 million for Head Start to prepare children to succeed in school.

$1.2 billion for Special Education Part B State Grants to help improve educational outcomes for individuals with disabilities.

$74.2 million in education technology funds to purchase up-to-date computers and software and provide professional development to ensure the technology is used effectively in the classroom.

$1.6 billion for Title I Education for the Disadvantaged to help close the achievement gap and enable disadvantaged students to reach their potential.

Energy

$224.5 million through the State Energy Program.

$192.1 million through the Weatherization Assistance Program.

Protecting Those Hurt by the Recession

$220.2 million to provide quality child care services for in low-income families who increasingly are unable to afford the high cost of day care.

$89.8 million in Community Services Block Grants to local community action agencies for services to the growing numbers of low-income families hurt by the economic crisis.

$843.9 million to extend Unemployment Insurance for workers who have lost their jobs in this recession.

$13.2 million for the Emergency Food and Shelter Program, which provides grants to nonprofit and faith-based organizations to provide for the immediate needs of the

Homeless.

Tax Relief for Families and Small Businesses

Up to $400 for workers (or $800 for married couples) in the new Making Work Pay Tax Credit for 12.4 million workers and their families.

$250 to Social Security beneficiaries, SSI recipients, and disabled veterans.

$2,500 for each of 522,000 additional families in California who will qualify for the new American Opportunity Tax Credit that makes college more affordable.

We know that this economic recovery package alone will not solve the entire problem; we must also address the housing and financial crises, and we will do so. Be assured that I will keep working with the Obama Administration and my Senate colleagues to enact legislation to stimulate growth, create jobs, and make American businesses more competitive in the global economy.

Sincerely,

Barbara Boxer

United States Senator

Comments (6)

• lesdvs9
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks for that Westelle. I'm keeping my ear out for the one that will let me refinance my upside down house that we bought in 2006 that is now worth 37K less than what we paid for it. We're hanging in by fingernails. I am glad that the month just before we bought that it had already dropped in price by 50K or we'd be 87K upside down as are some of the neighbors. Never mind that what we paid down on it is just gone. That blows my mind, wish we hadn't paid any money down. That should have been our warning and waited then to buy anything.

• Mikey
    15 years ago

Between Obama's TRILLIONS & Arnold's BILLIONS all I see are more taxes.... My grandson's 2nd birthday is Sunday. What a horrible burden we are dumping on him & his generation due to our greed.

I was having a discussion with a neighbor this week trying to figure out how many digits were in a trillion..... I hope you aren't superstitious......a trillion dollars has 13 digits in it..... LOL!

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If we gave large donations to every charity that sends us a letter DH and I would be broke quickly. Well, that's what our governments have become. America is quickly becoming a nation of people who wish to be cared-for. Too frequently we give over our rights just so someone else "can take care of it." We've forgotten that our form of govt. is suppose to provide military protection for our Nation, conference with foreign govts. for the greater good, interstate commerce, and control of other things that are nation-wide. So why are they involved with so much else?

And, the States govts. each have their own purposes, which have also been expanded to the point where they no longer function.

When an entity tries to do everything, then nothing gets done well.

• caavonldy
    15 years ago

I read that Obama wants to stop us from claiming charities as a deduction on our taxes. If that happens, things will get really bad.

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Then the governments can control the charities too.

• caavonldy
    15 years ago

This will cover churches also. Many people in our area give 10% of their income, or more. We like to think that they don't give just to claim the donation on their income taxes, but some families can't really afford that 10%, but make sacrifices for their faith. Our local churches do so much for our community, there is no way that big government will fill in the gap. The libs just want to keep people disparate and under their thumbs.
    Donna