Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calpat_gw

Found Out How Much I Really Have!

calpat
17 years ago

This week hasn't been the best of gardening weather for me, to cold out there. Decided to edit my garden pictures and discovered I have more periennels than I thought! A nice surprise as the gardens right now look bare, brown and deserted. I've never had Salvias, but this spring I plan on getting some as, there are so many varieites, I'm sure I'm find some that will do well in our very hot summer months. Any suggestion for variety would be appreciated, along with any instructions/hints!

If and when you have time,take a look!

http://www.picturetrail.com/mizpat1

Comments (7)

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

Uh oh! It's the start of another addiction. :) The Dreaded Salvia Addiction! :) there are many California native salvias... the tropicals ones need more water and shade, there are fall bloomers, spring bloomers and year round bloomers...
    I enjoy www.robinssalvias.com the man is an encyclopedia of salvias... and enough salvia pictures to make your eyes go googly and your computer to load very slowly. :)

• calpat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good a.m. to you Heathen...I'm looking forward to perusing the sight you just posted, but first I've really got to unload the dishwasher, and take care of some housekeeping. It's a boring job, but someone has to do it and as hard as I try I never seem to find any volunteers. I got so excited about my sweet pease this a.m. I was ready to call everyone in the world that I know to share my pleasure. Unfortunately for us gardeners thre are to many people I know that could care less. Thanks again for the site! Pat

• youreit
    17 years ago

Ooooo, you've got Liatris, Pat!! (Like you didn't know that...) My mom was just saying how we should get some of that. Where did you get it?

Heathen said it perfectly....Salvias are SO addicting, Pat! I got my mom hooked after I became afflicted. I now have over 20 of them, and I'm not satisfied. LOL

S. greggii is one of the easiest I've grown, but it does like its water in the hot summer. There are tons of different colors from which to choose. The easiest in my yard (with regard to watering & pruning) has been the clevelandii 'Allen Chickering'. I think it has a lot to do with it being a native. :) However, he hasn't bloomed yet, but that's fairly uncommon, and I'm hoping this is the year!

Brenda

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Uh oh, that's what I was going to add this year too:) I'll be looking around also....

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

How cold is it in winter, Pat?

• calpat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Westelle, I think the coldest this winter was about 36F very early in a.m. During the day, temps go up to low & mid 50's. Please remember that I'm an old lady and I feel the cold much more than you younger folks. You've probably heard old people have circulation problems & all the cr__! I really try to keep moving and instead of upping the thermostat I start layersing sweaters, moving around, etc.
    For a six word question, here I am giving you a dissertation on weather! Oh my!(sorry about that!)

• youreit
    17 years ago

LOL!! Details are good, Pat, especially when it comes to the weather! (I easily get cold, too.)

Wow, the river influence must be incredible there! My folks got down to 20F this year...but that's not usual, even for the Redding area.

Brenda