Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesdvs9

New garden figure

lesdvs9
17 years ago

I found a 3 piece dragon last fall that I wanted bad but we just didn't have the cash to get it with all the things we needed for the new house and then Christmas. So, I got him last Sunday, I'm thinking of planting alysum around him because it doesn't get very tall. What do you think. Should I also space him out further than this? I wanted a more whimsical dragon than this, but in the big guys I couldn't find one. I've got a little 8" one with purple wings coming for my 12x20' mini garden. But this big guy was perfect for the big garden I'm working on this spring. I needed to get him before I put all the plants in. At least I told my husband that:) Or would another plant look better planted all around it?

All this area in the photo was weeded before the last rain, BTW:) And this is all under construction right now so it doesn't look very nice, excuse my mess.

{{gwi:495025}}

Leslie

Comments (6)

• youreit
    17 years ago

I think he looks great just like that, Leslie! And the Alyssum sounds like a good bet, because you wouldn't want to cover up any of his beauty. :) It also might appear as though the Alyssum plants are his "splashes" in the "water".

He is very handsome!

Brenda

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Brenda, I'm getting a big kick out of him:) He's my inspiration to get out there and weed, again.... And, get that alyssum planted today. It was overcast this morning but the sun is coming through now.

I looked over the bedding plants and this is about the shortest I could find for what I wanted. I'm going to spread the plants all around the dragon, not just between it. I put it just there to show off the dragon:)

Leslie

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

I love yard art, and your dragon is an especially fine specimen compared to others I've seen. I can see why you wanted him so bad. I think he'll look great swimming in an alyssum ocean.

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Westelle:) I really like this dragon, I wanted something different that the little boy and girl statues. Though i really like them too. I wanted something colorful to spread all through that garden I'm creating by the time I'm done with it. I also sprinkled some alyssum seeds that I'd gotten free in the mail. I wanted something that was a low grower. I'm planting roses here and when those are all in place the companion plants go in next. All along the front of this bed are the bulbs and behind them are daylillies that are just now emerging. I have this vision, I hope what happens and the vision are the same. LOL

Currently I'm working at removing all the walkon bark and replacing it with mulch. The bark went in easier than it's being shoveled out:) The bark was there to keep the mud down because of the 5 animals and all the rain we didn't have... It will be a very long time before this looks like much of anything. Next spring this should all look better.
    {{gwi:495028}}

• calpat
    17 years ago

Today is the first I've had a chance to spend on the forum & Leslie your dragon is beautiful. How big is he! The alysium is going to look great when it fill in and he might like a shot of red "dragon fire", only thing I can think of right now is Salvia, but I'm sure you'll come up with something gorgegous to go with "Gorgeous Dragon"!
    Pat

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Actually I have some extra alyssum seeds that the subdivision had in their welcome bucket and sprinkled that all around and it's sprouting today:) After I get all the area around the dragon planted with the roses I want. AND get all the walk on bark relocated to the sides of the yard and mulch put down. AND then I get to decide on the companion plants to put in. I think some Salvia would be really nice, some red right to the side of the dragon's mouth, LOL. I think spread out the dragon is about 7 feet long. He's pretty heavy too, made from concrete. After living with him for awhile it may change what grows between him. My garden is going to take several years to fill in and look really nice starting from scratch. I finally have it all weeded AGAIN. It's been so warm it's hard to spend more than a few hours out there working. It gives me a migraine every time I push it in the heat.

Thanks for your complement, I love this guy, he goes right with all the fairies out there:) So will my sign when I get it done.
    Leslie